Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Hawaii Decarbonization Settlement 2045
(07-02-2024, 06:53 PM)HiloJulie Wrote: Perhaps maybe, using all of your self proclaimed brilliance, your self proclaimed unmatched knowledge, your self proclaimed unmistakably high intellect coupled with your diarrhea of your mouth (keyboard) where you use quantity versus quality, as well as all those redundant big words and names trying to prove your superior intelligence and realize and grasp that saying that you may do some or all of these things to various degrees is not the same as saying I specifically do this or I specifically do that..

OMG, there you go again. I am sure your therapist has warned you about projecting your nonsense on to others.. take heed girl.. get help.

From.. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/projection

Projection is the process of displacing one’s feelings onto a different person, animal, or object. The term is most commonly used to describe defensive projection—attributing one’s own unacceptable urges to another. For example, if someone continuously bullies and ridicules a peer about his insecurities, the bully might be projecting his own struggle with self-esteem onto the other person.
(07-02-2024, 07:52 PM)MyManao Wrote:
(07-02-2024, 06:53 PM)HiloJulie Wrote: Perhaps maybe, using all of your self proclaimed brilliance, your self proclaimed unmatched knowledge, your self proclaimed unmistakably high intellect coupled with your diarrhea of your mouth (keyboard) where you use quantity versus quality, as well as all those redundant big words and names trying to prove your superior intelligence and realize and grasp that saying that you may do some or all of these things to various degrees is not the same as saying I specifically do this or I specifically do that..

OMG, there you go again. I am sure your therapist has warned you about projecting your nonsense on to others.. take heed girl.. get help.

From.. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/projection

Projection is the process of displacing one’s feelings onto a different person, animal, or object. The term is most commonly used to describe defensive projection—attributing one’s own unacceptable urges to another. For example, if someone continuously bullies and ridicules a peer about his insecurities, the bully might be projecting his own struggle with self-esteem onto the other person.

Well, I guess I should be thankful that your recent posts have dropped the misogynistic terms, but now I see you pulling out the “my therapist” and the “I need to get help” routine to once again only attempt to insult someone instead of contributing to the discussion. What’s next in your shallow arsenal? I’m on “drugs?” Or not taking my “drugs?” I’m sure you got a few left! Show me what a manly man you are! Maybe even brag about your intelligence too!

As for the whole “projection” dribble, sorry, we covered that like 8 pages ago. As ironyak would say, maybe you’re “slow on the uptake.” But even funnier than that, is your assumption that first I see a therapist, and then of course I didn’t listen to what that therapist warned me not to do and then you throw in the whole “projection” thing, not even realizing that your own words are the definition of you projecting your issues as being mine. 

At any event, please describe in detail YOUR personal contribution(s) of lowering YOUR carbon footprint. Or is that too big of a hurdle for you yo climb?

As we celebrate the 248th birthday of America, here’s a thought that the State of Hawaii COULD do. Maybe even “mandate” into law for the entire state for each counties sponsored fireworks shows. Imagine the impact on our environment if every state did so too. 

Drone Fireworks Shows. 

That’s right, even at a currently much higher cost than that of conventional fireworks, with the flip side being the massive environmental savings, both for the atmosphere as well as fire prevention, but also recognizing that there are some veterans who abhor the loud explosions of fireworks. As well as animals, especially dogs and cats. (Oh, don’t worry about my dog Barney. I just give him a few of the pills my therapist prescribed me! Knocks him out in minutes. But then he keeps begging for more the next day!)

Granted, that’s not going to help much for the hoards of citizens lighting off conventional fireworks in their backyard yard, but every little bit helps!

Brand's move from psychedelics and communes, to silicon valley and small nuclear reactors 

Yes, it was quite a metamorphosis.  
The Whole Earth Catalog is still available as a resource, the books listed mostly remain available and helpful for those in Puna living a back-to-the-land lifestyle. My daughter in New York recently packed some of my Helen & Scott Nearing books and The Findhorn Garden for her return trip to the east coast.  Other resources in the WE Catalog are admittedly among the All Things (that) Must Pass.  

Coevolution Quarterly was a transition point, and a mixed bag, but I enjoyed reading it at the time.  In the context of that era.  I still have a copy of an issue that focused on Bioregions.

The WELL (Whole Earth ‘Lectronic Link) brought the young computer literate into the conversation, a more rock & roll version of Usenet.  I remember giving a rural neighbor a ride to the big city (pop. 150,000). He didn’t own a car but he did have a Sinclair Computer or similar and some contraption called a modem (probably single digit baud rate) that hooked up to a phone line which he explained allowed him to engage with other people around the country on various topics.  I had mostly no idea what he was talking about, but he went on for the full two hour road trip. Why would I want to type into a telephone if I’m on the phone and could just talk to the person?  I think while on our drive he probably enjoyed the conversation without a keyboard for a change.

Stewart Brand despite some detours (most roads lead to Crazy Town!), did in a way help bring us to the point we’re at today, communicating via computers, and now tablets and phones.  Communication which even facilitates our discussions about silicon vs carbon.  
Taking kalianna's invitation to use the new "Bicker Board", my reply to HiloJulie is here. (figure it's worth trying to help support those trying to keep things somewhat on the rails here :)

HOTPE - He didn’t own a car but he did have a Sinclair Computer or similar
Sounds like the console cowboy had his priorities straight :) It's somewhat astonishing how much the founding of cyberspace and its future world-wide adoption was tied to counterculture psychonautics like Brand. While some of his more recent Long Now Foundation work is interesting (lots of good podcast talks), like restoring the passenger pigeon made extinct from overhunting in the early 1900s, some of his other work like trying to restore the Wolly Mammoth (in this climate?) feels a little like going out of the way to play god.

From those early tech pioneers, I think individuals like Douglass Rushkoff offers a better example of how to stay on Team Human, including calling out techbro folly like Zuckerberg's Hawaii compound, bought with profits from refining Brand & cohort's mind-opening cyberspace into an highly addictive social media that has warped reality for many of its users. What a long strange trip it's been indeed!

In contrast, hopefully the kids raised in the reality of climate change are wide-eyed as to the enormity of the task at hand and everyone does whatever they can to help and support them.
(07-02-2024, 02:34 PM)kalianna Wrote: What on earth does this have to do with this thread?

The thread is about decarbonization. It's important to understand where carbon comes from. While discussing the issue, some comment on reality and others ask questions. Please tell us how what's quoted below answers any question or adds to the thread meaningfully.

"Points out that all life.. in an effort to put vegans in their place..

Whereas our wannabe is just being a jerk."
(most roads lead to Crazy Town!)

Seth Binzer died of a drug overdose on June 24, 2024.
Come my kalakoa, come come kalakoa, you got off on the wrong exit - this Crazy Town, not that Crazy Town, but whatever tickles your fancy.

I was hoping for a more og take like "Every task requires a trip to Crazy Town, and my taxes don't even pave the roads to get there" or "Restrictive zoning prevents everyone from having their own Crazy Town in their subdivision". Come on kalakoa, play Free Bird! ;)
Well this is great news!

If only Hawaii would/could follow suit:

https://newatlas.com/energy/fervo-geothe...agreement/
Geothermal steam,
looks like free power, but for
lessons of the past.
Pot of hot water
Hawaiian kids smart enough
To say no plop in.