Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Presidential Caucus
I thought I understood voting, but apparently not. Could I have voted in the "Caucus"? Or is that only for a select few? 

I saw an article that said "only xxx people voted". I didn't get anything in the mail even though I am an active, registered voter. Was I supposed to go somewhere to do this?
No.  There were democratic caucuses last week and I think the republican caucus was today.  I donʻt really understand this process.  I think itʻs where you can just show up in a designated room and hang with a group of people who support your candidate and based on this, the candidate receives electors.  Very anticlimactic for both parties this year.  Do we also have a primary vote?  Not sure.

ETA: I was close.  Hereʻs a link:
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2024/03/11...locations/
Looks like the only place to do this in Puna was Keonepoko Elementary School.
Thanks. I see on the Office of Elections site, it says, "July 23. Voters start receiving their Primary Election mail ballot packet" so I guess we have a primary, but I still don't understand the caucus thing, even more so after reading the article. I read other articles that said it was already over.

It's good(?) to see I'm not the only one who doesn't understand the process... I thought I was just stoopid. Smile

ETA: I found the article for the Democratic caucus on the same site as your link.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2024/03/06...locations/

Guess I missed the whole thing...
I think itʻs where you can just show up in a designated room and hang with a group of people who support your candidate

From watching news clips of caucuses, this is an highly accurate description of the proceedings.  Also, the room generally has some folding chairs.
I never received anything, I guess you're just supposed to know when and where to go... Not that the parties care about your opinion. (Remember the whole Bernie/Hillary thing.)

There's some interest in having the state run the presidential primary too, to save the parties' money. The weird thing is, the parties could, again, ignore the results of the presidential primary and nominate someone else for the general election.