Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
HE (no L no CO) would like your cooperation
There’s a power generation crunch at HELCO, with multiple generation systems down or at reduced capacity:

… over the next month, and possibly longer, to conserve electricity. We are extremely tight on what we call our generation margin, the margin between the demand for electricity and our ability to supply it. This demand typically peaks on weekdays between 5 and 9 p.m. and that’s when the margin is most critical.

This is an unusual situation, driven mainly by the unavailability of several large generators that have experienced mechanical problems, are at reduced output or are undergoing maintenance. The island’s largest generator, operated by an independent power producer that sells electricity to Hawaiian Electric, has significant mechanical issues and is offline. The plant generates 60 megawatts or nearly one-third of the typical peak demand of 180 megawatts on the island.

you may see alerts asking you to conserve energy, especially on days when there isn’t much wind, which can generate up to 15% of the electricity on the grid. When you see the alert, please take immediate action to minimize your use of electricity.

For households, minimizing the use of water heaters, ovens, stoves, dryers, air conditioners and other large appliances, especially during the peak hours, can really help, along with shifting major appliance use to the daylight hours when solar is abundant.
"The island’s largest generator, operated by an independent power producer that sells electricity to Hawaiian Electric"

Is this PGV?  Anyone know what the problem is?
I read elsewhere that the problem is not PGV, but an independent supplier with an oil fired generator.

Of course, the bigger problem is that we have an incompetent electric utility that is statutorially guananteed a profit, no mater how badly they perform.
"...The island’s largest generator, operated by an independent power producer that sells electricity to Hawaiian Electric, has significant mechanical issues and is offline. The plant generates 60 megawatts..."

By that definitional statement, the only one that fits that bill is Hamakua Energy Plant.

Regardless, I wonder why HELCO does not disclose that in the news story. It's not really a secret now, is it?
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
(03-25-2024, 11:29 PM)ChunksterK Wrote: I read elsewhere that the problem is not PGV, but an independent supplier with an oil fired generator.

Of course, the bigger problem is that we have an incompetent electric utility that is statutorially guananteed a profit, no mater how badly they perform.

You may like to check out the following video describing how Hawaii's electric grid works in order to gain a better understanding of some of the challenges that an isolated island utility has to deal with:
How the Hawaiian Power Grid Works
With Merrie Monarch in town next week, the timing of the 'crunch' could not be worse.  I heard on the news that rolling blackouts were to be expected.  All the equipment that will be needed to broadcast the festival will put additional strain on capacity.  I'm assuming that the blackouts will avoid Hilo, and be targeted to residential areas ( i.e. Puna ).
(03-26-2024, 05:34 AM)HiloJulie Wrote: "...The island’s largest generator, operated by an independent power producer that sells electricity to Hawaiian Electric, has significant mechanical issues and is offline. The plant generates 60 megawatts..."

By that definitional statement, the only one that fits that bill is Hamakua Energy Plant.

Regardless, I wonder why HELCO does not disclose that in the news story. It's not really a secret now, is it?
Story in Tribune Herald says it is indeed Hamakua Energy.

They've got my cooperation. I'm off grid.
Hamakua Energy Partners being offline is part of the problem. The HECO Ke-ahole power plant is also offline for maintenance according the Hawaii Tribune Herald.
(03-26-2024, 06:26 AM)jffields1969 Wrote:
(03-25-2024, 11:29 PM)ChunksterK Wrote: I read elsewhere that the problem is not PGV, but an independent supplier with an oil fired generator.

You may like to check out the following video describing how Hawaii's electric grid works in order to gain a better understanding of some of the challenges that an isolated island utility has to deal with:
How the Hawaiian Power Grid Works
Of course there are challenges related to being a rock in the middle of an ocean, but a case can be made that HELCO deals poorly with them.  They are blaming the current issues on an "outside" provider that isn't what they say it is.  Hugh Baker, a utility industy expert with 40 years experience published an op-ed piece in today's Hilo newspaper that says in part:

"The plant referenced by Hawaiian Electric is the Hamakua Energy Partners (HEP) 60-megawatt oil-fired power plant located in Honokaa.  Since 2017, HEP has been owned and operated by a company called Pacific Current (pacificcurrenthawaii. com/project/hamakua/).  Pacific Current is a wholly- owned subsidiary of Hawaiian Electric Industries (HEI) and is therefore an affiliate of Hawaiian Electric Co. since the utility is also wholly-owned by HEI (www. hei.com/company-profile/ about-pacific-current/)."

Having said all that, I will add in fairness that our totally dysfunctional state government adds to the challenges on both a legislative and regulatory level.
Our third-world electricity distribution grid now has a first-world system for notification of rolling blackouts. (This doesn't give me a sense of confidence things aren't going to get worse):

"Hawaii Island customers can now receive emergency outage notifications such as conservation and rolling outage alerts through Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency's emergency notification system, Everbridge. Please scan the QR code on the image or visit http://hwnelec.co/gYGc50R1Ms9 to subscribe to the free service."

Also: "conservation" alerts ?

I signed up. Mostly because I'm interested in finding out if I get an "alert" before or after the power goes out.