Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
HE (no L no CO) would like your cooperation
As an aside as I see the subject of the thread was changed - TomK

As an aside from your aside, how does an OP go about changing the title of a thread?  

Mahalo
(04-25-2024, 11:13 PM)Punatang Wrote: As an aside as I see the subject of the thread was changed - TomK

As an aside from your aside, how does an OP go about changing the title of a thread?  

Mahalo

Click edit, select "full edit" and change the subject.  Then click the update post button on the bottom.

(04-25-2024, 02:39 AM)HiloJulie Wrote: Yahoo!!!

We can finally feed the kids, crank the air and wash our clothes! And even charge our EV’s at will!!!

Yahoo!!!

https://bigislandnow.com/2024/04/24/hawa...-in-march/

(Those of you who only rely on HECO for power that is!)

I'm one of those weird penny pinchers who conserve electricity all the time.  I even line dry the clothes and then run them through the dryer just long enough to remove the lint.  And by lint, I mean mostly dog hair.
Mahalo TC!  What no donkey hair?
"I'm one of those weird penny pinchers who conserve electricity all the time."

My post was tongue and cheek - ruffling feathers so to speak!

Both my husband and I as well as everyone else should be conserving energy at all times. And yes - even the EV users. 

And even though we are on solar, we have HE as back up. (We are not on "net metering" or buyback) RARELY - and I mean RARELY do we need to switch to HE due to insufficient solar power. As in only having to use around 300kWh in total last year of HE power.

"I'm completely convinced it's a change based on providing a better service and has nothing at all to do with improving profits."

Here is a hot off the press HE story of outstanding customer service which must translate to vastly improved profits somehow from just this afternoon:

At around 3:30PM, my dog Barney was taking me on a tour of his domain when he realized someone was at the gate. We walk to the gate to see a nice young man from HE there. He says, "Hi, I'm here on a disconnect order!"

Taken back, I said, "well who ordered that?"

He looks at his iPad and says "Mr. (Name redacted) on April 5th." He says it was ordered to be disconnected for today due to sale of home.

I ask him for what address he has. His reply was one road off. (Hawaiian Acres)

I give him the correct address as to where he is. He then says - "OH, yeh. I got my work orders screwed up. I'm here to install a new meter. " I replied that I was unaware that we were getting a new meter, and his reply was "well the work order says you don't use enough electricity - so we are replacing your meter with a different one."

He could not explain anything further. He swapped the meters - they look the same - and that's that. He said "Aloha!" and then I had to spend 5 minutes getting Barney out of his truck!

I have no idea why this was necessary. We were never emailed, mailed or contacted in anyway about this. And yes, the HE power is live!
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
(04-25-2024, 11:13 PM)Punatang Wrote: As an aside as I see the subject of the thread was changed - TomK

As another aside, hopefully, HiloJulie explained how it's done - note, you have to be the author of the thread to change the title, so it's not like any fruitcake can come along and edit things any way they want.

Just to elaborate, I've no problem with the subject or title being changed, it just caught my attention because I'd seen that Hawaii Electric no longer wanted to be called HECO or HELCO.
"well the work order says you don't use enough electricity - so we are replacing your meter with a different one."

When we lived in Alaska the water company had a "flat rate" billing regardless of how much water one used. Upon request, they would install a meter and a household could pay by the gallon instead. Most people didn't request this out of fear their bill could go up. They could also install a meter anytime they wanted to, if they SUSPECTED one was using more than their "fair share" of the water.

One day the water police came and knocked on the door with the dreaded meter of suspicion and installed their water tracking device.

It cut our bill in half! Of course nobody gets something for nothing, or even half price, so I added an additional layer of foil to my hat just in case.

Segueing this post back to rolling blackouts- we never had those in Alaska but the electric company did offer an option for a $5 monthly statement credit to anybody willing to let them install a device on the electric water heater that let them turn it off remotely. The number of volunteers was high enough they had to end the program. The kill would only be for 10-20 minutes so nobody ever noticed the "rolling hot water brownout" even happened because there was still hot water in the tanks.
I have the water heater cutout in Ohio. I have a 40 gallon tank so I never notice it when it's off. They can do the same with A/C but I don't have central air.

I have a smart meter here and volunteered for the new shift and save rates.Per KWH I pay 24.72 from 9:00am to 5:00pm, 74.18 from 5:00pm to 9:00pm and 49.45 between 9:00pm and 9:00am. That's in cents per KWH.

They will compensate me up to $10.00 if my bill goes up. Since February when it started my bill has gone down.

I have a mini-split A/C system that I run 24 hours a day. I set my electronic thermostat to 72 degrees during the day to pre-cool the house for the higher rate period from 5-9pm and turn it up to 79 during that time. It usually doesn't run at all at night.

I do have a 439 sqft tiny home that is insulated and was built as an energy efficient home with led lighting, tube sky lights and a gas 2 burner cooktop. My appliance are all inverter technology.

My last bill was $132.00 down from $195.00 in March.

Don't know how that will go over with working family's who get home from work at 5:00pm but it's good for me.