Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
HE (no L no CO) would like your cooperation
If you have rooftop solar and the capacity, it's hard to think of a good reason not to add an EV to your fleet and use it as often as feasible.  This is beyond politics and it sounds like you have it wired (forgive the pun).  Good on you.  I want to be just like you when I grow up.  Loving all of he cheap teslas I see popping on the market now that Hertz is liquidating their fleet of EVs.  I want solar and I want an EV to match.

However, the point I believe you responded to is not the point that was made. The point that was made is that Helco seems to be behaving quite politically.  They definitely need the brownie points here lately. Good eye terracore.

EDIT ALERT!!!

HOWEVER, I do see that there are far fewer EV's than the other types of appliances so there is that.
Yeh. I can just imagine the big wigs at HECO sitting around the Koa Wood conference table in the boardroom and sitting in comfy leather chairs each with salaries north of a quarter million a year deciding on a Power Point slide to send out about conserving power due to their complete mismanagement of their power generation and distribution system when one junior executive says “by all means, whatever we do we can’t piss off the 2,668 EV owners, so let’s tell everyone to turn off their air conditioning and don’t feed their kids and don’t do any washing of clothes!”

I see a big promotion and raise for that junior executive!
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
(04-16-2024, 09:00 PM)HiloJulie Wrote: Yeh. I can just imagine the big wigs at HECO sitting around the Koa Wood conference table in the boardroom and sitting in comfy leather chairs each with salaries north of a quarter million a year deciding on a Power Point slide to send out about conserving power due to their complete mismanagement of their power generation and distribution system when one junior executive says “by all means, whatever we do we can’t piss of the 2,668 EV owners, so let’s tell everyone to turn off their air conditioning and don’t feed their kids and don’t do any washing of clothes!”

I see a big promotion and raise for that junior executive!

LOL I was editing my post as you posted. You make good points and with good humor.  If it was political, it was not an effort not to piss off the EV owners IMHO.
Well, if one were to say that the lack of requesting users to delay charging EV’s was political on HECO’s conservation Power Point slide, I would say that then what would be even more political is HECO’s lack of ramming down our throats that since this whole conservation need surfaced, due to the breakdowns of fossil fueled power generation, a significant majority of our energy generation has come from alternative sources, such as PGV, wind, solar and now battery storage.

No need to piss off the bunker oil burning crowd!
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
(04-16-2024, 08:17 PM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: BOOOOOO!

I think most people who have a negative view of EV cars and how they operate are people who don’t own an EV car.  They don’t understand the features built in to the vehicle.  They’re against EV’s on general principle because it’s become a political talking point on broadcasts they watch or listen to.  And most of those talking points are utter nonsense.  

Years ago when incandescent light bulbs were being phased out, these same political networks claimed The Librals was behind it!!! Taking away their freedom to buy dim bulbs that were good enough for Edison who invented lectricity.  My dad bought a cart full of incandescents based on this terrible affront to his human, god given rights.  When I saw the closet stuffed full of the waning technology I asked him, what’s this?  After he explained I sat down and talked with him about watts & lumens etc.  I asked whether his sources ever explained that part to him.  Nope.  He died with more worthless bulbs than he could have used in 30 or 40 years.  They went in the garbage.

I have an EV.  I can program charging.  I charge during the day from rooftop solar panels.  For free.  Which is a pretty good non political talking point.

I'm not against owning an EV, but from the practical side of things, their batteries are generally warrantied for 8 years (I believe that's a federal law to qualify for subsidies).  I've never owned a car that was only 8 years old.  The last vehicle I sold was almost 30 years old, which is about 3 EV car lifetimes. But I understand that the technology is getting better all the time.  So is ICE technology.  I'd love to read a story about a 30 year old EV running with 99% original components, including the batteries. Otherwise, any EV vs ICE comparisons are just nonsense.

I'm not sure I understand the LED comparison.  The original hesitance was based on price, one could buy a 4-pack of incandescent bulbs for 49 cents and LED bulbs were about $30 each when they first came out.  Now that the price of LEDs have dropped at least 90% the only complaints I've heard are people in various artistic fields that need the type of light that incandescents create.  And these seem like the type of people who are most likely to drive EVs, so their complaints are just a whimper.  LED bulbs generate pretty good light nowadays, compared to that weird unhealthy blueish hue they had 10ish years ago.  They still flicker, which gives some people headaches, but there are no long term studies if the flickering is a health problem.  Most people can't consciously perceive the flicker unless the light is reflected off a moving object (like falling snow).  (One of the reasons why they are so energy efficient is that they aren't actually producing light all the time... but just like film tricks the brain at 24 frames per second, most people can't consciously perceive the flickering of LED lights).

The only way you're charging your EV for free with rooftop solar is if the solar power system was free.  And even then, the power isn't "free", it was only free to you.  I'm sure the kids working in Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Guangdong, or Shandong can attest to that.  I crunched the numbers to see if I could build a DIY solar power system to charge an EV, and it's possible for about $3000.00+, but it being based on a 120v system could only add about 16-20 miles of charge per day that the sun was mostly out.  On some days (in East Hawaii) the amount of miles charged would be insignificant.  That might be enough for some people, like 15 miles would get one to Hilo, and if there was a "free" EV port available while one is shopping, it could give one enough "free" carbon-tainted juice to get home, making the round trip essentially "free" once one has recouped the cost of the solar setup.

A few years ago I was talking to an old friend in Alaska.  One of the most politically conservative individuals I've ever met.  He was telling me about the EV he bought.  Of course we know that EVs deliver their poorest performance in the cold, so I was really surprised, and I asked him about his decision. He had a lot of great points, the most important being that it was his third terrestrial vehicle he owned, so he had ICE options when the EV made no sense, then he put the icing on the cake by adding, "Of course, I put an NRA sticker on the bumper."
There is a certain point where the cost of a solar rooftop system generates the equivalent amount of electricity which equals what you would have paid HECO, after that it’s free.

Yes EV batteries will wear out, so will computer, phone, iPad batteries etc.  
You could keep your old Bell Telephone landline phone for decades but you don’t because a mobile phone does more and is better.  So you replace the batteries or buy a new phone every few years. Those batteries also contain the same minerals as EV cars, mined by the same child laborers, but most people who post negative comments about EVs from those battery powered phones don’t seem to recognize the disconnect.  

There are certainly reasons to drive an older used car, it makes environmental sense to use a resource as long as it’s functioning.  I drove my van into the ground before I bought my EV.  After driving it a few years I wouldn’t want to go back to my rotary phone and gas powered past.

The old blue-white LED lights were replaced by newer technology with a choice of warm or bright long before incandescents were phased out.  People still use lots of technology for specialized projects, long after they’re replaced by better tech.  Film cameras, CDs, even 78s and tube amps.  Some people swear by them, others prefer the convenience and added functionality of new technology.
(04-17-2024, 02:48 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: There is a certain point where the cost of a solar rooftop system generates the equivalent amount of electricity which equals what you would have paid HECO, after that it’s free.

Since you said you were charging your car for free, you've reached this point.  And for that, I congratulate you!
BAHAHAs,

On Point as ever Mr. T !

I know you remember this little convoluted logic ditty.

"The current energy shortage is from 5-9 PM. I can schedule my car to charge from 10 PM to whenever. Or plug it in before I go to sleep. You asked in another thread what we EV owners do while our cars charge. We sleep. We don't have to pull in to a gas station, wait 5 or 10 minutes for the guy in front of us to pay at the register because he doesn't have a credit card, then pump a highly flammable liquid into a tank under the vehicle we sit on top of, oblivious ".... HOTPE

https://punaweb.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=22812&highlight=rolling+bombs
(04-17-2024, 04:21 AM)elepaio pid= Wrote:BAHAHAs,

On Point as ever Mr. T !

I know you remember this little convoluted logic ditty.

"The current energy shortage is from 5-9 PM.  I can schedule my car to charge from 10 PM to whenever.  Or plug it in before I go to sleep.  You asked in another thread what we EV owners do while our cars charge.  We sleep.  We don't have to pull in to a gas station, wait 5 or 10 minutes for the guy in front of us to pay at the register because he doesn't have a credit card, then pump a highly flammable liquid into a tank under the vehicle we sit on top of, oblivious ".... HOTPE

https://punaweb.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=22812&highlight=rolling+bombs

Thanks for posting that link to a thread from August 29, 2022

In that thread, you made this post:

(08-31-2022, 09:31 AM)elepaio pid= Wrote:How you driving there Tom ?
I love these .. Brown and Blackouts. Takes me home again ..

Now imagine the poor person who committed to e car.  No LUXURY of big $$$$$olar system to charge off grid during or can afford ICE back up car. How they getting to work today ? What they say to boss ? 

Will this be the new norm ? The grid cannot even keep up now when current system blinks. 

What say you EV folks ??  Please explain how its all gonna work out.

I hope you can comprehend my incoherent gibberish bra.

LOL

Two questions:

First question:

"I love these .. Brown and Blackouts. Takes me home again .."

Where's home? You mean to tell me you were flown here, not born here? 

Second question:

"How they getting to work today ? What they say to boss ?"

What if there was no PGV, wind, solar or battery storage supplementing the fossil fueled power generation - and these same breakdowns occurred and caused an island wide power outage lasting for hours/days/weeks impacting every person/place/business on this island? 

What they say to boss then?
As long as you volunteering to be my spokes ..Please cherry pick some apropos quotes in this throwback gas thread. Salamat.
They never want to face the Facts MR T. Its always divert and ignore, attack the messenger etc. Projection abounds.

eta. make silly comparisons^
'e

https://punaweb.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=22714&highlight=elephant+in+the+room