Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Developer sues lady after they accidentally built on her lot, someone pooped on floor
(03-31-2024, 02:09 AM)My 2 cents Wrote: I wonder where the contractor’s insurance company is in all this.  Isn’t this the kind of thing insurance is for?  Isn’t this why contractors are required to have insurance, and developers are required to use licensed contractors?

The only type of insurance that COULD possibly cover this type of screw up would be called "Errors and Omissions" Insurance.

However, I highly doubt the contractor(s) would have this coverage, typically only professional service businesses - such as Architects, Surveying and Engineering Firms, etc. carry this type of insurance. Since no surveys were done, I really don't see ANY insurance claim against any of the parties.

Interestingly enough, I tried a hundred ways to Sunday to verify "PJ Construction" as a licensed Hawaii business AND licensed contractor, to no avail, other than one individual tied to a company known as "PJ Construction Co" that was suspended years ago. It could be that the company name was quoted wrong in the news article, or it's under a D/B/A name, but nothing comes up as "PJ Construction!"
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
Interesting take from a “mainland” lawyer:

https://youtu.be/B1_A_3hKI-g?si=5EhOkb0xGvLrEhXv
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
Interesting take from a “mainland” lawyer:

“I’d rather be negligent than malicious.”

The developer should put that on his truck door.  With his phone number.
One thing the mainland attorney shared that was new to me, at 1:52 he says: “During the period she said she received letters in the mail from a developer offering to buy the land, which she ignored.”

She probably doesn’t have those letters for proof, but if this is true it would indicate that the developer knew of the error at that time, well before he put the house and property that he didn’t own up for sale.  So that would make it willful and intentional fraud.  I’ll also speculate that if he knew it back then, then others probably knew it too.  Hard to imagine him learning of this error and not confronting the contractor with a huge “WHAT THE…..???!!!”

I know it's a lot of "ifs", but for some reason I am believing her story more than his.
Forutnately there is no chance that corrupt officials or anyone with ties to the "injured" parties might try to tip the scales of justice in this case.  Lucky we live Hawaii.
You were able to keep a straight face when you typed that?!
(04-08-2024, 06:02 AM)terracore Wrote: You were able to keep a straight face when you typed that?!

LOL. I can't recall.

The obvious solution here is for the developer to simply move into the house and claim squatter's rights.  Problem solved.
"The obvious solution here is for the developer to simply move into the house and claim squatter's rights.  Problem solved."

One problem however, it gives the legitimate squatters a bad name!
Anyone know where exactly in HPP this property is located?
15-1856 8th ave.