Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There are now 33 brand new homes for sale in HPP.
2 years later...

Why does that house look 10 years old?  The scrubs may have spotted that camera/motion detector looking thing above the scale.
(04-27-2024, 06:22 PM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: 2 years later it's all still there.

Thanks Obie, I didn’t realize there were smaller than 1 acre lots on Beach Road, but it does explain the location of the house and gazebo.  Hard to imagine some scrub car hasn’t pulled up at 3 AM with a cordless drill/screwdriver (stolen from their previous stop) and made a grab for some of that stuff

I thought the plots in the Beach Road area, at least close to Kaloli Point, were all half-acre lots.
I thought the plots in the Beach Road area, at least close to Kaloli Point, were all half-acre lots.

There are some oddly shaped ones, like the lot in question, here and there. They tend to have non-standard acerages. We see the same thing at the end of the dead end avenues.

I updated the title again to reflect today's count.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/?s...%3Atrue%7D
(04-26-2024, 11:51 PM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: why not build it in back of the house for some privacy & a quieter setting?

The further back you go, the more it costs.  More power poles, longer driveway, etc.  Some houses are built as far back as they can get without putting in any power poles, just what distance one can get coming straight from the utility line, and that is usually further on one side of the road than the other.
HELCO used to "give you" the first 100 feet. Beyond that it adds up quick.
(05-01-2024, 03:07 AM)terracore Wrote:
(04-26-2024, 11:51 PM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: why not build it in back of the house for some privacy & a quieter setting?

The further back you go, the more it costs.  More power poles, longer driveway, etc.  Some houses are built as far back as they can get without putting in any power poles, just what distance one can get coming straight from the utility line, and that is usually further on one side of the road than the other.
He was referring to the entertainment room being better placed behind house rather than in front where valuables are more visible and susceptible to theft. 

I welcome a slow down in home sales.  Too many new residents diminishes the quality of life. There have been so many highway accidents recently.
I welcome a slow down in home sales.  Too many new residents diminishes the quality of life.  - fiend

It certainly looks like you are getting your wish. Terracore gave some good reasons.  Edge, Chunkster and others have shed some light as well. I've looked into this a great deal here recently and see some other patterns.

Many many COVID refugees are going back home, to the office, whatever, but a bunch of folks who bought at the top of the peak of the mass psychosis frenzy at 3% interest are now trying to bail out of their brilliant, bidding war acquired investments. But there are no bidding wars now and these sellers feel a strong need to sell the house for at least a 10% higher sales price, over the bid up price they paid, to cover their selling costs, even though we are at 7% interest now and prices are tapering off. Quite a few of that lot seem to feel entitled to make at least 100k additional profit on top because that's how it works right?  It's not going well for those folks.

Then there are all of the AirBnB entrepreneurs who grabbed up our housing supplies and made them super cute with stuff from Ross. Not so many bookings so bunches of those on the market all over the country these days. Florida is crushed with them right now and we have a bunch as well. Even in good ol' HPP.  Add on the political will to just put an end to vacation rentals in Hawaii in general is no doubt of great concern to vacation rental owners. The tic-TOC iinvestment influencers led that group of recent Hawaii homebuyers astray.  It has not gone well for them.

The allure of Hawaii as welcoming destination where every arrival is greeted with a flower lei and who's presence is cherished by all - is toast. Pin the tipping point wherever you like but it's tipped. That is very real and it is causing folks to not come, not buy, and to sell things they have had for many years because they no longer feel welcome. They got your message Durian Fiend.  You are clearly not alone in feeling that way.

Add on climbing interest rates, over building (in certain places and price points), insurance woes, economic malaise, inflation and the traditional election year slowdown in real estate and you have a perfect storm.

That said, since my last post, two new houses sold, one was removed it seems, and two new ones were added. So, for the moment, there are 33 new homes, and a huge pile of used ones for sale in HPP.  Then there is booming Ainaloa... WOW
With all the new houses sitting empty and for sale in the area, it's causing another problem. My stove totally died 2 days ago. We went to Home Depot to buy another one. Nothing in stock! Had to order what we wanted with a 4-6 week delivery time. When I asked why no stoves (or other appliances!) we were told all the builders have scooped them up to get their homes finaled. So all these nice, new appliances are sitting idle while residents have to order and wait for them. Life on an island I guess.
Mahalo!
Four to six weeks isnʻt so bad. We needed a new fridge during the covid lockdown. Took three months to arrive.
(05-03-2024, 08:01 PM)keaau mary Wrote: With all the new houses sitting empty and for sale in the area, it's causing another problem. My stove totally died 2 days ago. We went to Home Depot to buy another one. Nothing in stock! Had to order what we wanted with a 4-6 week delivery time. When I asked why no stoves (or other appliances!) we were told all the builders have scooped them up to get their homes finaled. So all these nice, new appliances are sitting idle while residents have to order and wait for them. Life on an island I guess.

We've had the best luck ordering appliances from Costco.  Not just a better deal but a better experience all around.  Home delivery was about 10 days after ordering online.