Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
newer food court place near Orchidland / HPP
I'm sure most of us have seen the newer collection of food trucks/shacks sort of across from the SiSi Tacos / Thai place.  We finally decided to try it.

I specifically was looking for tacos since it's Thursday and SiSis isn't open.  I thought there was a taco place and apparently there will be, in the newest shack and not open yet.  The taco signs were regarding the tacos the Thai shack was selling.  So I tried the chicken and the pork tacos and the wife played it safer and got some yellow curry.

The big RV looking truck was selling smash burgers and fries etc.  They smelled good and maybe we'll try them next.  They were the busiest and looked like there is probably a wait.  One of the shacks was selling stuff like hot dogs, funnel cakes, cotton candy, etc.  

Access sucks being right next to the highway and the undersized lot was full.  After we pulled in we realized that the back of the lot connects to 32nd and off street parking.  Quickest entry is probably from Paradise.
We went there last week. They didn't take plastic so we left.
A good general rule of thumb is that if there isn't a flushing toilet or anywhere for them to wash their hands, they might not take plastic.

I try not to use plastic at small local venues like food trucks/shacks. They have enough struggles without having to lose another 4% of the transaction to merchant processing fees. Consider paying cash to be an additional gratuity.

I realize this isn't exactly related to food trucks... but.... I don't know what the laws are here, but when I lived in Oregon back in the 90's the law was that if a customer paid with plastic, the restaurant was required to automatically withhold a minimum 5% (the exact figure might have been different... it was a long time ago) of the receipt gross from the server for taxes, under the assumption that some patrons pay in plastic and tip in cash, and Caesar gets his due. It might have encouraged fair income reporting, but it also meant that if a patron didn't leave any tip, the server paid the tax man 5% for the pleasure of waiting on the deadbeat. They needed a minimum 5% tip to "work for free". At the time restaurants were allowed to pay tipped staff less than $4/hour, so they weren't making up the % with an hourly wage. At a restaurant that had good tips, the server paychecks were usually zero because the taxes were more than the hourly wages.

But, I didn't cry for them because they could make $100/hour with tips, and I was working in the kitchen for about $8/hour. The free food and beer didn't exactly make up for that.
Thai can do Mexican. Yet to try Mexican > Thai. Currys would be an adventure.

Anyone here been to Calexico / Mexicali? Surreal Chinese where you might least expect eat
Had a smash burger yesterday. Pretty good and I'll go back.

With the way the access is from 130 I expect the county or state is going to shut that place down.
(04-21-2024, 06:17 PM)Obie Wrote: Had a smash burger yesterday. Pretty good and I'll go back.

With the way the access is from 130 I expect the county or state is going to shut that place down.

More likely is that they will put concrete barricades in front of the entrances, forcing all the traffic from 32nd in HPP and making it HPP's problem.
Lacking health inspections, not that it will ensure proper hygiene and sanitation, but at least someone is looking......
Lacking health inspections, not that it will ensure proper hygiene and sanitation

In Puna, you can lean up 5 sheets of 4x8 plywood against each other and open a roadside restaurant.  In Waikoloa on the west side, they shut down this restaurant (link below with photo) last week because the building wasn’t tight enough to keep out rodents and insects:

https://bigislandnow.com/2024/04/22/waik...onditions/
"A good general rule of thumb is that if there isn't a flushing toilet or anywhere for them to wash their hands, they might not take plastic."

"In Puna, you can lean up 5 sheets of 4x8 plywood against each other and open a roadside restaurant.  In Waikoloa on the west side, they shut down this restaurant (link below with photo) last week because the building wasn’t tight enough to keep out rodents and insects:"

Come on now!

In Puna, unwashed hands and a little rat poop is called seasoning! Cockroaches add to the texture!
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
Yikes,,, I hope thats NOT why they enjoy ur pie ..# grausss