Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiian voter turnout among the lowest
This article from the Star Bulletin says voter turnout was unexpectedly low in Hawaii:

http://www.starbulletin.com/news/2008110...owest.html

I also heard an interesting statement on NPR that while the rest of the nation voted for change,
Hawaii voted to maintain the status quo...

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
In all fairness, more people did vote, just the percentage of registered voters was less then before.

...In terms of actual voters -- about 24,000 more people cast ballots Tuesday than in the last presidential election in 2004, according to the state Office of Elections. However, when compared to the number of registered voters, Hawaii's voter turnout of 66 percent was about 1 percent lower than in 2004...

I would actually say this is a good thing for the future.

What it means is that more people actually registered to vote. That is the FIRST step in Voting...

Now we just have to push the people a bit further to take the SECOND step and actually vote.

With time, it will happen.

Also those were state numbers. I'd be curious of the Big Island Percentage as well as a break down by precinct... to tired to look for it now... but if someone wants to dig that up... I'd love to have a look.

-------
My Blog
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

I also heard an interesting statement on NPR that while the rest of the nation voted for change,
Hawaii voted to maintain the status quo...

That's a pretty broad statement. Status quo in what way?