Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
driver license - new regulations - need help
sittall, I didn't take time to read all the posts but you can get all your vital records easily by way of county records or what I found that was much easier and faster was to use a web service called https://www.vitalchek.com/home.aspx.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
quote:
Originally posted by Kapohocat

So what this new ID law really is a bias against women, who make up 90% of the group with a name change

Exactly!
@ mella1. For someone like you -3 times married and widowed twice getting a new DL could be a real challenge.
Got my new Hawaii driver's license from the Pahoa station. Was told their inkjet "temporary" license should be shredded upon arrival of my "real" license from "DHS" in 2-3 weeks. From there I drove to the Keaau 7-11 to buy some communion wine and was told my "official" "paper" "driver's license" was no good there. I'm in my mid-40's and can't buy communion wine. Nice. If you see some older looking balding guy with gray hair tapping kids on the shoulder asking if they can buy some communion wine, no crime is in progress.
I'm going through the name change process right now. I had gotten married twice, and then had my DL in another state changed to my present name (a chosen name) by the "print ads in the paper, etc" method. Now I'm going through the whole expensive process just to get back the name my mom gave me in the first place.

What a pain in the neck. And the newspaper ad you have to print at the end is nearly $200! Durn! But at least I'll finally have my paperwork straightened out once and for all.
Forgot to mention, Hawaii would not accept the original plastic birth certificate card my mom was given when I was born. Fortunately I had a passport (which I got using the original plastic birth certificate card). Apparently neither originals or copies are good, you need "certified copies" so plan that into your expenses.
Insanity.
why don't people just keep the names they were given to begin with? you get married, take your husband's name. you get divorced, take your original name back. why would you want your ex-husbands name (for 35 years no less) ?

just call me moonbeam Smile
Well, I think in the future women probably will start just keeping their maiden names instead of taking married names at all.

FWIW, the reason I kept my married names for so long was that they were easier for people to pronounce and spell than my own original last name. But to heck with that. Rather have my own at this point even if I do have to spell it out for people.
So if I understand this correctly after reading the requirements, if you use a passport for ID, then the whole married name thing and all the documents are not needed.

It seems like that is what I saw but I could be incorrect.

Catherine Dumond
www.dakineworkers.com
All I know is that I was with terracore and they used his ss card and his passport as his form of identification since they didn't take his birth cert (I just think they'd never seen a bird card before and frankly neither had I till I married him!).

Both his passport and his ss card had the same name on it...

Now ME, that was a different story all together! I was helping my daughter get her permit. Here's what I had to have.

One, to establish her identity she needed her birthcert, ss, and they used her passport too. I don't know exactly why.

Then to establish I was her mother I needed and provided the following documents:

My birth cert
My ss card
My AK drivers license
My 1st marriage cert
My 1st divorce cert
My court document showing name change to maiden
My 2nd marriage cert
Certified copy of custody agreement.

I still have to send something for my daughters father to notorize so she can get her permit (she passed the test but they won't do the photo thing until they get the notorized thing from her bio dad).

WHEW! Then I had to show most of that in order to get my own drivers license! She had to fill out the backs of TWO drivers license applications for me and it took me standing there for about an hour. I felt very sorry for the folks behind me, but there was nothing I could do.

Dayna

www.JasonAndBlue.com
My artwork
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com