Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safety Check Scam?
FYI - was in need of a safety sticker today and went to Paul's Repair in Pahoa based on the reviews here on Punaweb. Here's my experience (or lack thereof):

I called ahead this morning and was told that I could just walk in with no appointment (you need an appointment Tuesday - Friday). Was also told that the fellow doing the safety checks was unavailable from 12 - 1:30 because that's when he took lunch. (Yup - an hour and a half for lunch.)

I stopped by at 2:20 pm and was told the guy was at lunch but returning by 2 pm. It was already 2:20. I waited about 10 minutes and gave up and left.

Other people also recommended the guy in HPP on 28th (between Kaloli and Paradise.) Stopped by he was in. Took about 10+ minutes and had a new safety.

BTW - Also called Wally's in upper HPP and they require an appointment. They were booking several days out and I didn't want to wait as my safety had expired.

My daughter let her safety sticker expire by accident. She was thinking that she would get a notice from the state when it was due. But, her tags expire in a different month than her safety sticker. The stick expired at the end of July. She got a $70 ticket Sunday after leaving the MaKuu Market. Since she works M-F I offered to call around this morning and try to find someone to do the inspection. Could not get Bob's on Ilima to answer the phone even after 9:00. Called Wally's and got an appointment today at 4:00, the only opening they had today. Nice folks there at Wally's. I wish the cop would have just gave her a warning. It's her first ticket in almost 5 years of living here, and she is a very careful driver. I asked at Wally's if they do motorcycles and scooters, and they do not. I've been going to Stan's Quick Lube in Hilo with our Toyota and our two scooters. He now goes by appointment only too. I used to just drop in and usually he'd get right on it.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
@Birdmove that's why I wanted to get a safety sticker right away. Mine lapsed because I was out of the country.

I tried Stan's before I left on my trip but he was gone for the day by 3 pm when I stopped in there a few weeks ago (didn't know he was appointment only now.)

I tried Paul's because I wanted to give my business to a local company but all I succeeded in doing was wasting gas going all the way to Pahoa. Wally's was booked.

Was glad I got my sticker done. Didn't want to get a ticket like your daughter. The guy on 28th was fast. No complaints.