Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water Department - no more courtesy notices
This seems to be a small thing but my recent water bill contains the following notice:

"Important Notice - Effective immediately, we will no longer issue courtesy abnormal reading notices. All customers are responsible for monitoring and maintaining their side of the meter."

Over past decades the Water Supply Department extended aloha to its customers by letting them know if there was a sudden spike in water usage. Such a spike might often occur from a broken under ground water line and sending a notice to the customer served the purposes
of saving water and saving money. A thoughtful practice.

I was curious to know what motivated the change of heart.

I am told it just took too much time to continue the practice so they are cancelling it.

Too bad. Hawaii takes another small step closer to the mainland.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
This is really too bad. But I gotta say, there are water companies on the mainland who will let their customers know there is a spike. Ours did in Moss Beach, California - somehow they knew we had a leak and sent a notice. Sure enough, one of the toilets had been running -- you couldn't even hear it w/o putting your ear close to the tank. This was 3 years ago and I believe they still do this. They also installed smart meters that didn't require a meter reader. All water companies, if they have the technology, should be on this. It not only saves their customers money, it saves resources.
When we filled our pool, the DWS said to let them know so they would not send a courtesy notice. Then they did anyway.

IMHO, by the time they read the meter, and send a courtesy notice, they are already sending out the bill.

I received the courtesy notice after I received the bill in the above case.
Another argument for catchment anyway.
DT - I agree. We just in the last 3 weeks went from catchment to county water. Now our coffee tastes horrible, same beans, same pot, same human maker, same grinder.

We are thinking of adding a catchment system for the near future when the system craps out in our neighborhood. We'll be able to share water with our neighbors.
Are there THAT many leaks/broken pipes/spikes that it takes too much time to deal with them?
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Maybe they're just lazy.