Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helicopters From Hell...
The 9/11 terrorists are known to have used Microsoft Flight Simulator as part of their training. In fact, after 9/11, Microsoft patched it so it wasn't possible to crash anymore, the planes just bounce off buildings and the ground.

The Navy built some cheap off-the-shelf simulators using Microsoft Flight Simulator for cadet training. Those cadets aced the trainer flights and the Admiral was astounded with their performance. The cadets said they "had seen everything before".

http://www.baseops.net/flightsimulators/
Military Aviators Train with Microsoft Flight Simulator
"Recently there have been a DOD study (see below) that has shown that Pilot Training students that used the Microsoft Flight Simulator program scored better than their peers that did not. A Naval pilot training student performed so well in training that the Navy instituted the Flight Simulator program into the syllabus and have strongly endorsed students use this program to practice."

The point about the new MS Flight simulator is the only map it comes with is the Big Island. It encourages low level flying over the island. Bill Gates and his buddies have their own floatplanes and they fly around the Puget Sound in groups, landing in places like Gig Harbor to go to the local watering hole.

The reason the Big Island is the starting map in MS Flight is due to a lot of interest on the part of the 1% as a playground. People do realize Paul Allen and Michael Dell, as well as several other 1% have vacation houses here?

The helicopters don't bother me but some of them are DEA green harvest operations. They are flying low to find marijuana patches and dropping down to pull them out. I saw that strange looking copter over Hilo again last week and nobody was paying attention. It didn't look like a standard Army copter and I am pretty sure why now. This is what I saw:

http://images.defensetech.org/wp-content.../MQ-8C.jpg

The Navy Boeing Firescout UAV has been a failure so they are looking at a modified Kiowa UAV.

I have seen a P-3 doing touch-and-goes at the Hilo airport on multiple occasions. That is the really low, loud airplane that flies over HPP and Beaches sometimes. I have seen B-1B's at Kona airport and there are other military flights into Hilo airport. Anyway, just saying, people should expect a lot more air traffic.
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
I totally agree - insanely stupid that we have to put up with it. And completely disrespectful of the pilots.

It's not much, but here's a couple of links to info:

Petition ~ Modify Hawai'i Air Tour Helicopter Laws
http://www.change.org/petitions/modify-h...opter-laws

Info on tracking heli's, and contacting the FAA/Other:
http://airtourshawaii.blogspot.com/2012/...ppers.html

Above all, don't be shy about saying something out LOUD to the FAA and State Dept of Transpo. The squeaky wheel...

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow
Better yet... lets just put together an organized 2 month long airspace protest. With enough people, lighter than air (LTA) protest balloons and fishing line, we could send a big message all the way to Washington DC while littering Punas airspace with tethered LTA protest balloons.

It's our airspace too and last I checked we still retain the right to go fly balloons, kites, model rockets, rc aircraft, etc and peaceably demonstrate.

If one cannot afford helium gas for balloons here's an easy alternative for creating hydrogen gas to lift a balloon.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5005590_make-hyd...loons.html

E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa.
Carol,

Thanks for the reply, nice of you! Just a couple of things:
quote:
Originally posted by csgray

The show was broadcast live from here in the morning,and shown live in the evening in England, so that is what I meant by BBC time. It had a pretty small crew, but they were all over this side of the Big Island, and used a lot of helicopter time on the show, I think they may have planned it when we still had the lava ocean entry putting on a big show.

You might be right there but I still don't think they (the BBC) would have been responsible for any unusual helicopter flights. I've not had any interaction with them when it comes to Kilauea but have been involved with a couple of live shows they've done on Mauna Kea. It has always shocked me how small a crew they have (a presenter, a camera person and one geek!).

I'm a bit puzzled when you say "they were all over this side of the Big Island". Do you mean they had a small crew flying everywhere or they had lots of people? I ask sincerely because that is not my experience from previous encounters with the BBC.

quote:
My point about calling this Big Island was that people who live in Hawaii don't call Hawaii "Big Island" we call it THE Big Island and it sounded really funny to hear someone keep calling it Big Island (sort of like Big Dog) instead. Those three little letters make a surprising difference to the ear.

I understand, and thanks for clarifying that. Just about everyone in the UK who would have seen the live show would likely think the volcano is just a few miles from Honolulu and putting "The" in front of "Big Island" really wouldn't have made any difference. I haven't seen the show but have often had to try and explain where I live, and the difference between Oahu and the Island of Hawaii rarely registers. It's unfortunate, but look at it another way. How many people here can explain the differences between Great Britain, the United Kingdom and England? It's the same thing just in reverse I guess!

quote:
The woman who co-narrated the show has done some great shows on the spice trade, and the geologist guy has done some of my all time favorite nature documentaries, but the fact that the show was live really seemed to rattle her. He is also a university professor at Edinburgh so is used to lecturing live, but I think she was more used to retakes being an option. It was still a pretty good show though.

I know of the people you mention (I don't know them personally). It sounds as though you've seen the show yourself (the live Volcano show). Is that right? Any chance I could see it?

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
Tom,
By all over I mean they covered a wide variety of sites here on the Big Island on the show, they rented a little mini Winnebago and tricked it up with big touch screens and Hawaiiana knickknacks. The show was a mix of live footage and pretaped stuff from other places around the world, they used helicopters for a lot of their Kilauea segments. I didn't mean they had a fleet of crews flying around. Trying to do the kind of show they did live was pretty daring, and the biggest tech fail they had wasn't at this end but was back home with the website where people were supposed to be able to send them questions to be answered live, and the website kept crashing.

My husband found 3 of the 4 shows somewhere on the internet; unlike PBS who charge an arm and a leg for educational stuff produced on the taxpayers' dime, the BBC makes most of their shows available on the internet through various education websites, so I try to stay pretty plugged into what they are producing.

I know what you mean about the difference between England, Britain, and the UK, I end up having to explain that to my students on a regular basis when I teach geography or cover current events.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by Chuysmom

I cannot believe the amount of activity overhead in Hawaiian Shores today! It's crazy! Anyone know what's going on?

[V]

Carrie

http://www.sapphiresoap.etsy.com
http://www.septemberspirals.etsy.com

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR

Crazy stuff man