Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puna Obon
Does anyone know when and where the Obon Dance will happen in Puna this year, or did I miss it? I feel a need to mark my mother's passing this year and would rather do it close to home.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
From the "teenagers" thread:
the summer Bon Dances at the Buddhist missions & temples, huge way of meeting a ton of people They start in a couple of weeks, one of the largest Puna Bon Dance is at the Keaau Hongwanji (Buddhist mission in town) usually on a weekend near July 4th (July 6 & 7 this year)
2012 Bon dance schedule for the island:
http://www.hawaii247.com/2012/05/28/2012...-schedule/
Mahalo Carey,
Looks like it is the tail end of the Obon season, I guess it will be Kamuela, unless someone can tell me where the Honohina Hongwanji Mission is. I've been listening to Hawaii public radio stories about the Obon Dances and it seems like it might be a big help with the grieving progress. It is so hard to let go of the people we love when they go.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Honohino is in Ninole:
Honohina Hongwanji Mission
32-896 Malamalahoa Highway (P.O.Box 72)
Ninole, HI 96773
Phone: (808) 963-6032

The Papaaloa is also closer, near Lapahoehoe:
Papaaloa Hongwanji Mission
P.O.Box 200
Papaaloa, HI 96780
Phone: (808) 962-6340
There are two parts to the Obon, the memorial service will be first and you'll probably be able to offer a pinch of incense in memory if you like. It is a quiet ceremony although not overtly religious. Buddhism allows for many ways to enlightenment. Then after the memorial service, there will be the community Obon dance. That has the big taiko drum platform in the center with the strings of lanterns going out from there. There will be someone who will announce which dance will be next, although many of them are Japanese so you may not recognize them. There are also dances such as the electric slide, or the big taiko drums going "BOOM chucka BOOM chuka" to "Sun, sunny Sunday". It can be a little surreal at times. Folks - all sorts of folks - will dance in a big revolving circle around the drum platform. It is a pretty slow stylized dance and you can follow what someone else is doing. Look to see which ones seem to know what's going on and imitate them. There are groups who follow the Obon during the season and will have matching hapi coats. The rest of the folks will stand or sit around the edges and watch and they usually have some sort of food for sale, too. Minor kind plate lunch sort, but it is good to get the plate lunch since that supports the Obon dance for next year. A mu'u mu'u or hapi coat are good at an Obon dance, or just nice-ish clothes. Nobody really dresses up but you don't want to be too slobby, either. Aloha shirts with long shorts - er, pants, that's always good for the guys. Mu'u mu'u or oriental or casual tropical is nice for girls.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
so wish I could be there