Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One year out
Aloha Punatics!- Just wanted to thank everyone for providing the most informative & entertaining forum in Hawaii!(and I subscribe to several). All of your posts keep me going until I can return to my home 1 yr from now when hubby retires. The BI is magic.Will keep you all informed as we make move preparations. We are at the weeding out to only necessary, loved possessions at this point. I never want to own another coat,sweater, or pair of boots again! Ummm, maybe I'll save one for visits to Mauna Kea Volcano. You all inspire me! A Hui Hou!
You can borrow my cold weather gear - and keep it if you desire.
And my snowshoes.
And my snowboard.
And my ice axe...

What the hell was I thinking???

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow
With all due respect, if I never need any of those items for the rest of my life,I'Ll be happy.Mahalo for the offer,although it's made in jest(I hope). Lookng forward to beautiful Hawaiian weather. I have dreams every night of Hawaii. Last night was being in Montana, the rivers were frozen but there was the most beautiful sunset framed by papayas and coconut palms kept warm by hot springs. Weird huh?
Keep some of your 'cool weather' gear! We are in HPP and my wife complains during the cooler wet season (= now) that I told her she would not need cool weather clothes. Your internal thermostat will reset.

Allen
Finally in HPP
Allen
Finally in HPP
And then we have a day like yesterday (and today if you believe the forecast).......80-82 and very sunny!!

My daughter has lived here for about three years and often complains about being cold in the morning (talking HPP now). My wife, after 15 months is starting to feel cold in the morning sometimes. Me? No way. A 57 degree morning is not cold!! A 15 degree morning is cold. Maybe it's because I commuted by motorcycle on the mainland down well into the low 20s and lived to tell about it.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
I still have my Columbia jacket. Used it a few times already. Smile The only WARM thing I brought with me besides a pair of Levi's just in case it rains or something... Wink
Heed the others! Bring a handful of your wonderful warm fleece winter wear because it can get chilly in the house at night and early morning. Kilauea is damp and windy lots! You'll be visiting that mountain frequently. [It draws you to it ....magical, I guess]
I was very happy I made the decision to bring two of my fleece vests and one warm jacket and one raincoat with me!

I moved here one year ago on 12/2. For a month, maybe more, it down-poured constantly daily and nightly. My cats hid from the thunder of rain that hit the metal roof. One man told me his rain gauge measured 28" of rain in 36 hours! I moved here from an area of the mainland that averaged 12" annually!

Only once during that time did I get a little irritated with the rain, so I drove a little over an hour to the black sand beach near Na'alehu and spent the day soaking in sun, napping with the green turtles.

This island is magical, it truly is. [8D]
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.