Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Double Murder in Hilo
It seems that hawaii follows trends in the mainland by a few years, so the big island is just experiencing where the rest of the usa is heading, endless insane killing !
This year is starting out to break Hawaii County murder records...IF the current trend continues...

Don't know when Lopakas was open, but the crime stats in the Police annual reports are:

In the last 18 years, 1995 had the highest with 10 murders, '97 had 9, '96 & '01 had 8, '03 had 6, "99, '02, '05. '07 & '09 had 5, '00, '06 & '08 had 4. '98,'04 & '10 had 3 - do not have the result for the last 2 years...but think they are near average of 5....

Report link:
http://www.hawaiipolice.com/about-us/annual-reports

would be nice to see a year without a murder here... but this will not be that year!
where there is 190,000+ people living ... there should be at least 19 murders IMO one for every 10,000 people over a 365 day span... sounds OK too me ...

this year we have a population record, so why not have a murder record?.... 1995 there was a good % less people here than today Wink

its so much safer overall here on Hawaii island that over on Oahu or much of the mainland, Oahu has 1,500 people per sq. mile... we have 48 people per sq mile... that alone should factor into violent crime stats, not to mention pollution, traffic etc.

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
The homicide rate for the world is ~7/100K, US ~5/100K & Hawaii state ~3/100K - so not really sure why our county "should" have a 10/100K homicide rate...
re BH Quote: "where there is 190,000+ people living ... there should be at least 19 murders IMO one for every 10,000 people over a 365 day span... sounds OK too me ..."

Of course there are regions & cities that have higher rates, but normally rural areas like Hawaii county have lower rates than larger cities.... and the county of Oahu has a mode of 19 homicides....total...so you would think that Hawaii county could get a few less murders than their ~2.5/100K rate... but that has not happened. This county, for what ever reason, has a consistently higher rate...
Meth maybe? show me a county with elevated alcohol/ meth use and I'll show you a county with elevated senseless violent crime
Shouldn't the County have two sets of murder statistics, one for "private roads/volcano park", same as they do with traffic fatalities?