Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
chemical signature of LFA bites/stings
Does anyone know of any research that has been done on the exact chemical process that happens when LFAs bite and sting? I know they do both, and I seem to have very different responses to bites vs stings, but I don't know how either one really works. I would like to find an effective treatment but knowing what is going on at a chemical level would really help.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Venom indeed. Containing an alkaloid called, Solenopsin..link below.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solenopsin

Further, Solenopsin contains piperidine,
Which is what gives black pepper its spicyness.
Any complicated and/or detailed questions could be directed to the faculty at the UH, you could try:

Lorna Arita-Tsutsumi
Ph.D., University of Hawai#699;i Professor of Entomology Apiculture, insect behavior

Jack Fujii
Ph.D., University of Hawai#699;i
Emeritus
Retired Dean and Professor of Entomology
Insect pathology. sustainable agriculture

University of Hawaii at Hilo
College of Agriculture, Forestry & Natural Resource Management
200 W. Kawili Street
Hilo, Hawaii 96720
(808)974-7393
Wasp and ant venoms also include hyaluronidase, an enzyme that breaks down the "glue" that binds cells together. That allows the venom to penetrate through the tissue even if it doesn't get into a blood vessel. Yellowjacket venom also has histamine, so that the venom itself induces an inflammatory response, but fire ant venom doesn't (though histamine gets released by your own body as a result of being stung).
This is a very interesting topic! Thanks for posting it.