Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lava Boat Tours?
I'm curious about the comments/concerns on safety. What exactly are people expecting that the operators were not providing? Not to state the obvious, but this isn't exactly like visiting Pearl Harbor on Oahu. The ocean is variable, the lava is variable, and the weather is variable. I have to think that paying customers know this.

I went on two tours in early January, one at sunset and one at sunrise. The second tour was pushed back a couple of days because of strong swells on the day we originally intended to go; probably not coincidentally, that was the same day someone drowned at Kehena Beach. I realize that is only one data point, but it does illustrate (to me at least) that operators won't go out if they deem the conditions to be poor. Now, customers may have a different idea of what constitutes "poor" conditions than an operator, and no doubt I'm sure certain customers have felt unsafe in conditions that an operator may have dealt with dozens if not hundreds of times. Feeling unsafe doesn't necessarily equate with being unsafe. Isn't that why they call it "thrill seeking" in the first place?
Leilani Estates, 2011 to Present
Riding in a Helicopter is also "Thrilling"; but the operators know enough (Since a film crew crashed into Pu'u O'o) to stay out of the Volcanic plume. To take customers into that type of situation now would be foolhardy.

The ocean entry plume is even more toxic, as it mixes with the salt water to produce Hydrogen Chloride gas.(For larger lava ocean entries, the flux of HCl will cause intense local environmental hazards, such as high localised HCl concentrations and acid rain. ?? 2006 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.)

I know the conditions are variable, but to maneuver with unsuspecting passengers directly through the plume to get to a better viewing point is criminal. The Lavakai has done this. I'm thinking he's been pretty lucky so far.

As far as the "Aloha" he exudes; maybe it's extended more to the people handing him hundred dollar bills. Ask any ten people at Pohoiki what they think of the Lavakai; I'll bet eight or nine have the same answer.

Maybe Shane has learned from his mistakes; but so far he just denies any error on his part. I see this as poor judgement. Go with Roy.

BTW, I have no dog in this fight(or $100 to spare). I've hiked the lava since 1987, and associated with the professionals that work there.

Crusade for safety or other issues?

Like I mentioned before - the boat tour industry one of the most heavily regulated industries in the nation

No dog in the fight either - other than I hate to see the industry trashed by a one or two time user.

When one spends 10 - 20 years providing boat tours like Shane or I have you may gain a different perspective....

Our / my worst day - when a drunk male passenger tossed his girlfriends son overboard in the middle of the bay...... whle under way - tough to blend that into the tour.....

Got to be prepared for all situations and be able to manage them

Again from what I saw Shane and crew have the skill set.

quote:
Originally posted by Bullwinkle

As we move into the topic of operator safety It is a good thing to remember that the passenger boat industry is one of the most regulated industries in the US...

Think I could have an objective view of your industry spending an hour or two at your factory or office? ... Lots of bankers to deal with before we get to tour operators on my list - grin

Bear in mind this is some ones lively hood you are commenting on..... An understanding of the applicable CFR's would be a good place to start

Fair points. Any suggestions for where to start with understanding all those regulations, and are there any that deal with boating around lava?

As far as objectivity is concerned- you're right, I'm not objective, and don't claim to be. I'm trying to learn more, though, so that I can hopefully have a more informed view.

My work doesn't currently involve inviting people to place their lives in my hands but if it did (and when it did, once upon a time) I'd welcome people expressing their concerns and questions so that I could explain, educate, inform.

I want people to be informed, I want people to be empowered to make informed decisions. THAT's when people can vote well with their dollars.
quote:
Originally posted by Justin

I'm curious about the comments/concerns on safety. What exactly are people expecting that the operators were not providing? Not to state the obvious, but this isn't exactly like visiting Pearl Harbor on Oahu. The ocean is variable, the lava is variable, and the weather is variable. I have to think that paying customers know this.

You're right that it seems to be common sense to expect the unexpected when dealing with mother nature. It might also be common sense to assume that tourists from far away are not well-informed about the true nature of the conditions they might encounter on such a tour.

My impression of why people become unhappy customers is largely because of just that - for whatever reason they were not prepared for what they experienced. Whose responsibility that is - whether the tour operator's or their own or both - is a matter for discussion, I think, but it does bring up questions about communication and how that is handled between tour operator and potential clients.

In my particular case, I actually had a ball on my tour. I did my research (recognizing my own ignorance about local conditions) and was prepared for the physical conditions, mostly. My beef is really about that communication question - how and when information is communicated (both about conditions and about other safety risks) and how effectively it is communicated so that people can make an informed decision prior to booking a tour.

In my case, I am still trying to figure out just how "off" that communication was. How much risk we were in, for real. That's the main thing, although I think the communication about the conditions was not terribly effective, either, but that is less of a concern to me immediately than the safety question.

AFter all, if I go on a tour an puke my guts out, I'll be miserable for a day, but if something else happens and I get scalded or breathe in particulates that bother my lungs over a longer period of time or something - that's a much bigger deal.