Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiian Telcom vs. Oceanic for in town.
HT supposed to be 7 Mbps. But horribly bogging down of late. I.E. email even hard to deal with.

Phone and Internet about 74.00

Currently being tempted by Oceanic's 10 Mbps + equivalent phone/net 59.00 Special.

Anyone in town with experience with both ?

House already wired for cable.

mahalo,
pog
At those prices, why not just get both?
I'm switching now from HI Tel to Oceanic. HI Tel was testing at 5Mbps which is too slow for internet TV service. Just signed up for Oceanic Turbo at 20Mbps and may also switch phone service to VOIP.
Dan De Soto
Mutual Underwriters
Insurance Agent
www.insurancehi.com
dan@mutualunderwriters.com
Tel: 808-961-3207
Fax: 808-969-1120
275 Ponahawai St., Ste#105
Hilo, HI 96720
Not sure where you live but in 2007 we moved to Hilo and signed up with Oceanic TWC. Got the total phone-internet package and everything seemed to work fine.

2009 moved to HPP and transferred Oceanic account here. First thing they did was delete all my emails even though I told them it was important to maintain the account. Next thing I noticed was internet seemed slow. About 2.85 Mb/sec and whenever an Albizzia fell in Puna the power went out and the phone wouldn't work (required electricity) Also noticed that the phone and internet would randomly be out for hours at a time, sometimes 2 or 2 times a week. None of the people I ever talked to at TWC seemed to care or offer any solutions.

Then the "burn" came, TWC said they were increasing their speed to 10MB/sec, but only on Oahu even though we pay the same rate. I looked elsewhere.

Switched to Hawaiiantel 29.95 for life package. Don't make that many toll calls but even adding long distance discounts and such still $20 or $30 cheaper than TWC. When the power goes out I can still use a landline to call HELCO and tell them to power is out, and it's actually faster that TWC ever was here in HPP. When the tech first came to hook up the router he said there was a lot of "noise" in the house lines and took the extra time to set up a dedicated line to our office where we send the wireless signal from.

Now I suppose things could be different now, or perhaps for some people in different locations, but Hawaiian Tel is generally on, the phone usually works, and they haven't lost any of my emails. Seems to me that the local telephone people really care more and maybe TWC is just too large of a corporation to give a hoot. If you need cable for TV that could change things, but for just local telephone and pretty good internet I can recommend Hawaiian Telcom.
Thaaaaank YOU guys ! Sticking with da phone co.

aloha,
pog
Oceanic upgraded Oahu Road Runner standard tier subscribers to 15Mbps a few months ago. They completed the network upgrades there first. These upgrades entailed upgrading the CMTS and reallocating analog spectrum bandwidth. The reallocation of this spectrum increased the amount of downstream channels from four to six.

Oceanic is slated to complete this reallocation around May 15th, 2013 on the Big Island. Then they'll increase the standard tier to 15Mbps after a 1-2 week testing period.