Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Hughes Net people out there?
I'm stuck with Hughes Net and have been using their service for 3 or 4 years now.. Not many options here in HA. They are generally acceptable but for the last two weeks I have been experiencing a problem that crops up every 6 months or so. The service quits completely between 11am and 5 pm every day. Of course tech support will never admit a problem on their end, perhaps fearing a demand for a refund, but instead always tries to convince me the problem is here although a solution is never offered.
Are any other Hughes people having this problem? Is it really some ghost in my machine? A ghost that apparantly has a watch?
Satellites have difficulty communicating with the fringe areas of its coverage during certain parts of the year due to interference from the largest broadcaster of energy in the solar system (the sun). If your outages are truly seasonal, that could be the reason why. That being said, you are probably done with whatever contract you agreed to if you are so many years into your service. Have you checked/priced some alternatives, like Home Fusion?
Try upgrading to Gen4.It is much quicker !!

http://upgrade.hughesnet.com/login.cfm

Obie, can you stream Netflix on Gen4?
I don't but Hughes says you can.

When I switched a few weeks ago I went from 1.5 mps down to 10 mps down.
This is at a house on the mainland but it is much faster than the DSL I have in Hawaii.
I have Hughesnet and hate it. At the time I got it, it was all that was available here. It has been more stable since the owner of the tech company hughes sends out(believe it was Microcom) flew out from Oahu and looked at my system. At least you loose service during the day, mine used to go out right at the beginning of "free" time and then not come back until around 10 am. I was told that my problem was they mounted the dish directly to my metal roof (they are supposed to use rubber as a buffer). They fixed that, then determined that the static from the roof messed up both the dish and my modem and replaced both. Not sure if the "static" was really theproblem or if they gave me crap equipment at the beginning. No problems since other than the usual super slow speeds and stupid limits.

My father in law in the same subdivision as me just switched to dishnet and it is MUCH better, at least here in Glenwood. You have to track your usage a bit more carefully seeing as you get a monthly amount vs daily amount.
Was also going to look into Excede, Starband, and Aloha as we now have more choices. I think the trick is to find the one with the satellite that works for your area the best, but I don't know how to do this other than trial and error. And bugging all of your neighbors about what they use and asking their speeds.[Smile]