Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone Wanna Glean Purple Sweet Potatoes
It has been quite a while since we last did this (maybe 3-4 years!), but there are Purple Sweet Potatoes to be gleaned, app. 8 miles North of Hilo.

Trying to nail down a date & time for gleaning (hopefully sometime from May 28-30 Tues-Thurs)
POST BELOW IF YOU ARE INTERESTED & WHEN...so we can all see what is best for everyone...you can also email me...but ...

This is from a working farm, so there is equipment & stuff - caution is YOUR responsibility. Come prepared to work in a farm field

We are gleaning for the Food Basket, & are looking for helpers to either help glean for the Food Basket, for your own use, or other charitable use. In the past, the fields have had more potatoes ready for gleaning than the Food Basket can use (usually over a ton)...but times may have changed on the field & in the basket...

There are a few rules the landowner has requested:
-No animals (the working farm part - & they do not want to deal with lost animals around their fields)
-No very young children, unless always connected to their folks, no exceptions!
-No "lookey-loos", come prepared to work in a farm field, to help glean for the Food Basket, for your own use, or other charitable use
-No selling (they are offering these for those that will glean, but do not want their offer to effect the local market prices for other farmers!)

Changed title & added red word to promote interest...maybe...

Hey Carey we have some kids in the neighborhood that might be interested. They are new to the island.

Let me know where and when and we'll see if we can get them there.

-Cat
KCat
Do not have a when yet, as it may only be me out there, if no one else is interested... So if they are interested, we can plan around them!

ADDED:
I called, & have some potato gleaners on Thursday morning, so if anyone else is up for gleaning purple sweet potatoes on Thursday morning, email (or call if you have #) or add a post below & we will clean up some potatoes!
You got my #? Lets talk.

ANY ONE WHO WANTS TO PICK PURPLE SWEET POTATOES
We will be on the fields from around 11am until...2or 3pm... tomorrow, THURSDAY 5/30/2013
The Food Basket has been notified. We have a few young volunteers, however

WE CAN ALWAYS USE MORE PEOPLE! remember that you can come & pick for yourself, your animals, your favorite charity. Just NO selling of these (we do not want to hurt the farmers that grow these for their living...)

If you would like to join us... contact me...

If you would like to pick another day.... contact me....
I want to thank Cats crew, Glow & Drew, we picked enough potatoes to overflow the Food Basket, and have enough to share with an awesome smoothie maker & have lots more for the crew to explore all of the things you can do with purple sweet potatoes....

Oh, & the field still has lots more potato to pick, if there is anyone with a NON SELLING purple sweet potato project that wants to pick potatoes & play in the dirt......& maybe next week we can fill the Basket again!
Your welcome and it sounded like they had fun, too! Smile