Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AT&T Mifi service
We've had our ATT mifi for about 3 Yrs.....its always worked fine, until the last couple months. We've had a couple of different sources tell us that if you go over your monthly limit (they charge extra), they will slow down your internet connection, so that you will change to the higher priced usage program. We have indeed gone over our limit for the last couple months, and now we can't download anything, and I sometimes wait 4-5 min. to get on something like Facebook, that has a lot of pics. on the page...its crazy. I know its not the p.c cause its the same for both our p.c's. ANYBODY else on ATT experiencing connection issues???? They told us that all 6 of the towers in this area are being worked on.(??) I'd appreciate any feedback on this issue.....we're ready to swich to another provider.
When you talk to ATT customer service be sure to tell them you are thinking about switching, especially the V word. Our cell was not as good as it used to be, many periods of No Service. During a conversation with CS, they acknowledged we are on the fringe of the signal etc etc. I mentioned that another friend in same situation installed their microcell, that a neighbor just gave up and switched to Verizon. The kind CS person decided she should switch me to Customer Retention. The CR rep immediately offered me a microcell at no cost, FedExed it (2 days). Took a week to get installed, but I now get 4-5 bars. While the microcell isn't your solution, maybe you can obtain other satisfaction.

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident
David, how long ago did they offer you that microcell? When I asked AT&T about getting a microcell a year or so ago, they indicated that microcells were not available yet on the Big Island (apparently they wouldn't be recognized by the local networks or something).
Leilani Estates, 2011 to Present
Justin
Got it in April. My friend bought his in Feb at the Hilo ATT store, think it about $100 after his rebate. Mine was a refurbished unit, but free. Works great.
Yes, I heard they can be finicky. Our biggest challenge was not having a verifiable street address. Can't set it up yourself, neither can the first line tech, but once a case # gets assigned it gets done at the appropriate level.

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident
Great, thank you David. That will be a lifesaver at my place.
Update: I did get a mi-fi, and it is great! 5 bars now upstairs, 1-2 bars downstairs (through multiple walls and a breezeway, would likely be 3-4 if just downstairs). Range outside seems to be about 80 feet, give or take.