Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hele On Bus $2.00 one way starts next week
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

quote:
Originally posted by Chunkster

"School kids on the hele-on? What happened to the yellow school bus?"

They charge for that, too, and some of the yellow bus routings don't work for everyone. This is especially true for kids who transfer out of area or go to charter schools at some distance.

Rephrase the above arguments, and you get this:

Why should a school system be responsible for where their students live?

Entitlement?

I couldn't agree more. If bus service is provided to their district school and they transfer out of their district then their parents need to take responsibility to make suitable arrangements.
quote:
Originally posted by Hawaii Bound

I couldn't agree more. If bus service is provided to their district school and they transfer out of their district then their parents need to take responsibility to make suitable arrangements.

This should go double for parents who fudge a residence address to get their kids into the "better" district.
If I go to Hilo and run my 3 most basic errands - bank, groceries, and of course Home Depot the mileage is 27.6 or 55.2 RT

The way I figure it at the most basic = $18.24 per trip to town (including insurance, maintenance, gas)

This is for one person, if I add people, the total trip cost goes up and you add mileage for other stops although overall the cost per person goes down.

So seriously $4 RT? I do not see an issue with that.

No one subsidizes our usage, and in fact we pay some heck of a tax on gas although my hubby is now on a fixed income. Dont even get me started on insurance costs, or the cost of maintenance.

While I do not want anyone senior to suffer the additional costs, I also do not want taxpayer's to subsidize the costs at any greater rate. I know seniors who do not use the bus because it is so inconvenient from our area and yet they help subsidize it from their taxes (I think this money comes from RPT?)

Would a private company do a little better job handling the mass transit on the Big Island? Any thoughts?

This is I think always the quandary. Who should pay/subsidize for these services?

quote:
Originally posted by Kapohocat

If I go to Hilo and run my 3 most basic errands ...

So seriously $4 RT? I do not see an issue with that.

The Bus is great, if your time is free.

Then again, if you have "better" things to do, you can probably afford a car too...