Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog paws?
I'm moving to Puna with a small dog in a couple of weeks and she loves to chase tennis balls. I was wondering if she will need time to build up callouses to run on grass (growing on a lava base). Any suggestions?

Thanks!
quote:
Originally posted by micro

I'm moving to Puna with a small dog in a couple of weeks and she loves to chase tennis balls. I was wondering if she will need time to build up callouses to run on grass (growing on a lava base). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Have you looked into all the requirements of bringing a dog into Hawaii???

If you have not done all sorts of prior documented rabies shots, blood test(s) and microchip along with submission of paperwork to the State in a specific certain matter, your dog will be subjected to a 120 day, 30 day or 5 day quarantine.

http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/aqs/animal-qua...tion-page/

Unless your dog's name is "BO" and your last name is Obama, you ARE NOT EXEMPT!

Least of your worries.
I would buy 500 bars of Lava Soap. Open the wrappers, place them end to end, and side to side in one room of your house. Turn your dog loose several hours a day. Be sure not to let him/her lick the bars. That should build up a callous or two, and your dog will have super clean feet as well:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&qscrl=1&rlz=1T4ADFA_enUS452US454&q=lava+soap&ion=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48705608,d.cGE&biw=1592&bih=832&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=CsrYUefsC4qGigKA4IGIBg
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
relax about your dog!

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
Thanks! And yes I have spent countless hours on the regulations for bringing a dog. From reading here, I do see other worries about loose dogs, feral pigs, poisonous frogs.. and lots of new adventures too!
Get your dog vaccinated for lepto ASAP once you get here. There are multiple strains live on this island and the vaccine only protects for some of them, but we spent a small fortune saving one of our dogs last year when she got it, probably from drinking our of a puddle that had been contaminated by rat pee.

I wouldn't worry about paw protection, just don't go on any 10 mile hikes the first week.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb