Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meteor Shower Tonight
From approx. 11:00pm tonight to 4:00am the Perseids meteor shower! Enjoy...(*More info at link - Snipped)

http://www.spacedex.com/perseids/locatio...hawaii.php

In 2013, the peak of the Perseids meteor shower will coincide with a Waxing Crescent Moon. This will produce favorable viewing circumstances for observers expecting to get the full effect of this yearly summer experience. With upwards of 80 meteors per hour predicted, it may well be worth staying out to catch quite a few impressive bursts of light streaking through the night sky.

On average, under completely clear skies, and in complete darkness, observers may witness 50 to 80 meteors per hour; but these rates can exceed up to 120 meteors per hour in rural locations. Be aware that local conditions such as light pollution, cloud cover, and precipitation will also play a major role in the number of meteors you are likely to see.

For the best viewing experience, find an area unobstructed by a structure that is far away from city lights. Using optical devices such as binoculars or telescopes is not recommended, as your field of view will be greatly restricted, thus making the possibility of missing a "shooting star" more likely.
Hoping for clear skies tonight!

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
I went out to check on it about 1 am. There was definitely a shower, but it was wet, not shiny. Maybe next year.

><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ >(>
3:30 it was clear, saw one fuzzy skeetch as I saw DH off to work. he saw over a dozen minor ones & one really nice one on the way to work.... if it is clear later tonight...there could still be some nice ones...if you're up really late/early
Clear skies for me last night. I counted 8 in a 45 minute period, the first of which was the brightest meteor I have ever seen in my life. It was bright orange/yellow and surprisingly wide. One other really good one; the rest, meh. Exciting, but meh.