Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great Food Stamp Binge- USDA Promotes SNAP
Currently, there are over 48 Million people on SNAP,
August 9, 2013 - Fox News FULL Special: Great Food Stamp Binge --- With one in seven Americans now receiving food stamps, a Fox News investigative team traveled the country to expose the government's startling attempts to get even more people to sign up for the "Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program".

Here's how many people are on SNAP, by State. Hawaii 189.647 http://www.fns.usda.gov/pd/29snapcurrpp.htm

The USDA Outreach Plan,has spent 3 Million in advertising/promotion of SNAP.
Here's their plan. http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/outreach/gu...teplan.htm

Reports by John Roberts and Peter Boyer explore whether the food stamp program can ultimately make the poor dependent on government, and ask how many taxpayer dollars meant for the truly needy end up in the pockets of those able to fend for themselves. This documentary profiles a blissfully jobless surfer who expects taxpayers to underwrite his life of beaches and booze, visits a pastor angry over Spanish ads designed to convince reluctant immigrants to get on food stamps, and reveals how social workers won a government award for breaking down the "Mountain Pride" that makes some Tar Heels unwilling to accept government handouts.

Watch this special report
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTH8V6H_Pwo

Why is the USDA promoting SNAP?
[:0]

maybe because they want the program to reach hungry people, especially children and elderly, who may not know they are eligible?

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by csgray

maybe because they want the program to reach hungry people, especially children and elderly, who may not know they are eligible?

Carol

That is what they want you to believe. Watch the video. Not against helping those in need, but to hand it out to those who are able to work, but refuse too, because they want a FREE RIDE, IS UNACCEPTABLE! IMHO
Calm down whalesong.
I would just consider the sources of the story.
Hawaii is not a wealthy state.
We have a lot of poor people here believe it or not.
Better to spend money on americans in need than Wall Street-or say- Bishop Street.
The outrageousness of such actions is mind-boggling. Hard-working Americans are being sequestered into poverty, watching their pensions and life-savings disappear, and losing their homes and jobs at the rate of thousands per day. Meanwhile, the government is going out and purposely increasing spending? Going out and convincing people to accept handouts? [V] Sorry for shouting, but this needs attention, if were not a video of the interviews, I wouldn't have believed the source either.
Carry on..everything is just fine!
How dare they feed Americans and not give every single tax dollar to Haliburton! We are in the middle of a war on Drugs & Terror! If I see one more dime not go to the Department of Homeland Security or to buy 10 billion bullets? I'm moving to Nigeria and starting a Lottery where all winners will be notified by email!
The belief that everyone using SNAP is looking for a free ride is simply Republican propaganda drivel. There are a lot of children here in Hawaii and across the nation who ate today because of SNAP. It also is considerably cheaper than incarceration, which is the likely result when people are desperate for food and have no other option. As long as we can afford corporate welfare and subsidies for big oil, big corporations and big banks we can afford to help the truly needy.

life is short. enjoy it
life is short. enjoy it
I'm sure there are some on assistance that truly need and deserve it but I lost count, long ago, of the times I've been in line behind someone buying expensive food on stamps/SNAP that I couldn't afford or even consider on my budget. I think today it's more about votes.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Why J.P. Morgan Wants to See More Americans on Food Stamps

Every time an American signs up for food stamps in one of 23 states, JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) adds to its revenue stream.

That because JPMorgan Chase contracts to operate as the processor of the Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) cards in those states. JPMorgan earns a fee for each recipient, ranging from 31 cents to $2.30, depending on the state, every month for the term of the contract.

JPMorgan's seven-year Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, the official name for the federal food stamp program) contract with New York state, for example, brought in more than $126 million of revenue to the big bank.

Florida has paid JPMorgan more than $90 million since 2007. Pennsylvania's seven-year contract exceeded $112 million.

It brings a whole new meaning to "corporate welfare."
This whole topic and most all the posts in it are not Hawaii/Puna related. This is the type of national issue that should be discussed elsewhere.

Locking this topic, watch it go away.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator