Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rain Gear
Can anyone recommend a set of rain gear (pants and jacket) that you can wear in Fern Acres climate all year long and not get too warm in it?

Also, how often does it rain really really hard all day long in Fern Acres? Does it get rain everyday? We were there Sept 10-17 and it poured! I guess that was unusual.

Thanks

Polly

Polly Petersen
Polly Petersen
Hi Polly,

Before we moved over a year ago, we bought rain suits from Cabelas. They are gore-tex. You can go to www.cabelas.com and then click on "clothing casual" and then "Gore-Tex". They have several selections. I think we bought the Gore-Tex EXV with no liners. They are pretty pricey, but they work really well. I haven't worn mine as much as I thought I would, but my husband keeps his in the jeep and has used it several times at work. It will get hot if it's a real muggy day, but in the cool rainy days, it's not too bad. We're in Mountain View - so maybe a little cooler than your temps will be.

About the rain you experienced in mid Sept - I checked my rain log (we have a rain gage and keep totals) and yes, it did rain a lot - we had 17.9 inches at our place on the days you mentioned, and 39 inches total for the month. The next highest month was March with 38.3 inches. Our grand total for the year so far is 203.6! According to some locals, the rain has been decreasing from what it was years back. We do get rain almost every day. Sometimes it will skip 2-3 days.

Hope this helps,
Emily

Goretex WAS the raingear to have 15 years ago. I don't know if it still is the best.

Ah the rain! It does not rain everyday in Fern Acres although sometimes it feels like it. I am in Mt. view right now and it has cleared up after having rained all morning. I have seen month long rains in Puna with almost no let up. I have also seen 6 month droughts in Puna. There is no real pattern to the rain aside from the sheer abundance of it. Mountain view gets around 180 inches a year.

get used to the rain, that's why they call this a rainforest

Hi!

I have been working for Pam Lamont up in Glenwood. Let me tell you about rain. Two weeks straight. No roof. We're dying. Finally got the roof finished with no fatalities two days ago. (Pam has noticeably relaxed!) The roofers just toughed through it and went up there about 3 stories high and managed to get it in through the downpours. Finally we can get some work done inside. Point being....

Everyone up there wears rubber boots, the kind you see in old commercials, the ones the Morton Salt girl wears. Kinda like waders. As to actual raingear we've all been a little lost too. For a jobsite with all the rough edges and protrusions, not to mention the internal exertions we put on our clothes we need something tough.

I also ride a motorcycle and would like something that won't be shredded by the winds at 50mph. I already ruined a set of Columbia uppers and lowers i've had since high school.

I know that for walk around use "Frog Toggs" are supposed to be pretty good and a tad more stylish than most. I do believe that they are enormously overpriced for what they are but they would prolly fit the bill for emergency or casual use. J. Hara Store ( the main outpost in Kurtistown) sells rubberized cotton and nylon stuff in addition to ponchos and Frog Toggs. They are undoubtably hotter and tougher; certainly heavier, most were made in Maine or Canada for ocean fishermen. None could hold up to motorcycle use. I think i may have to shill out the bucks someday for a real riding gear shell.

When i was in J. Hara i think i did find something that could actually work. They sell them over in the spearfishing section. They're called wetsuits. Enjoy the rain. Wink

Hazen

Keen shoes really work well in this type of enviornment and there are ones specifically made to get wet in, take a hike in, or rough wear, just hose them off and they are so comfortable. There is two places on the net that I have found them at to be the most reasonable. www.zappos.com/ and another one, which I forget the URL. but lots come up in google and they do ship and you can return them if they don't fit with them paying for shipping, which is nice. Lots of customer reviews. If you are on the mainland or Oahu, they are sold at Nordstrom's.
Rain blocker microfleece at Cabela's, rain proof and on sale. Very soft, looks good...
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=search&id=0034307&navCount=1&parentId=&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&navAction=jump&returnQueryString=id%3D0034307960175a%26type%3Dproduct%26cmCat%3Dsearch%26returnString%3DQueryText%3Drain%2Bwear%26Ntk%3DProducts%26_D%253AhasJS%3D%2B%26Go.y%3D7%26Nty%3D1%26hasJS%3Dtrue%26No%3D200%26Ntt%3Drain%2Bwear%26noImage%3D0%26Ntx%3Dmatchall%26N%3D4887%26_DARGS%3D%252Fcabelas%252Fen%252Fcommon%252Fsearch%252Fsearch-box.jsp.22%26Go.x%3D16%26returnPage%3Dsearch-results1.jsp&link=&parentType=&indexId=cat470082&rid=

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!
Lucy

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!
Hazen
You made me smile. Last year when we started our bulding project, the rains came. The second day we were scurrying for rain gear. We bought our rubber boots. Still have em. In fact, when we walk the dogs in the early morming, the grass is usually wet, so we don our rubber boots for the trek. I guess we'll never be without them. Smile
David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
ther is a place out of n.j that carrys every thing for the out doors at great prices ther called campmor.they have the best customer suport and shipping. i think ther web site is www.campmor.com ? ther catalog is seasonal but they carry everything on the web.when i moved here i bought all my camping gear from them alittle over $1000 and they shiped it to me for ther basic charge per order $5.95,it was a total of 12 boxes,i have dealt with all the other companys and they dont compair.good luck and stay dry. p.s as for hazens motorcycle (scooter) i seen that thing he would be lucky to get to 50 mph even with the trade winds aloha ika

Weather update for the upper elevations of thehttp://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/cam/index.htm Puna district, east-side and near our piece of paradise. Check it out when ever you are logged onto the web at, http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/cam/index.htm

It is the Pu'u O'o crater and the best weather indicator I've found for the 1800 foot elevation in IMHO. You can see it all here rain, shine, wind direction, fog and the fluffy white clouds moving along on the trades. Ah frogman wear. Do they make that in pink? Mella L

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Those looking for raingear might try LLBean they have an unconditional money back warranty on most everything they sell for life. Top quality merchandise, free shipping, 100% waterproof Gor-Tek long and short tops w/ pants zippered cuffs, all foldable to fit in it's own pocket. Several colors to choose from......Pink I Think!

www.llbean.com

Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

The best things in life are free.... or have no interest or payments for one full year.