Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shipping household stuff
We will be shipping some household stuff to our new house in Puna. It's not anywhere near the amount for a container, but larger than what goes in flat-rate boxes. Does anyone have a suggestion on cheaper ways to get the stuff shipped?
We mailed things like our stainless steel pot and pans, tools, and linens in those big blue rubber maid bins with the lids well duct taped on. Everything arrived intact and the bins are good for storage and recycling at this end.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Put it on a pallet strap some walls around your "stuff" and ship it freight. Depending on what you're shipping there are different rates for by volume and by weight. If you're shipping over your set of anvils make sure to get the by volume rate : ) I did this and picked up the pallet/box at the harbor nice guys there helped me open the box and waited while I emptied its contents into my sedan when I finished they disposed of all the box pieces + packing materials for me. I think mine cost ~ $1,000 USD for ~ 4x4x5 ft worth of space. Mostly household goods, stuff like a tent, bicycles, tennis racquets, etc.

Anyways hope you figure something out. I'd stay away from cardboard boxes if you want your "stuff" to arrive undamaged.

Aloha mai kakou
We used LARGE cardboard double wall boxes (think they were 21" square, or close to it) packed most things very carefully, using large contractor bags inside each box to further contain everything, just in case there was a box rupture. shipped everything BUT the books & such parcel post...books & other items that could go in media mail were packed in smaller boxes (more manageable), still bagged for protection...

The only things we shipped flat rate priority were heavy smaller items like small handtools, kitchen tools & flatware...stuff that really weighs a lot in those flat rate boxes...

We did not ship most furniture (did box up the sewing cabinet) and did not ship highly breakables like china & glass (except the CRT monitors SOMEONE accidently shipped instead of donating, without packing they came here in fine condition...go figure!)

81 boxes total shipped from the midwest to Hilo general delivery - no breakage..flat rates were all here within a week...media & parcel anywhere from 3-10 weeks
For my hand held tools I used the flat rate boxes. For everything else I used USPS parcel post. I purchased the large shipping boxes at Lowes, they are just the right size. Then I purchased the 1/2 thick Styrofoam insulation (4 x 8 sheets) at Lowes & Home Depot. First I cut a piece to fit the bottom, then cut the sides, then the top. If you do it in that order the bottom will support the sides and if you cut the sides 1/2 short you can fit the top piece on. It makes a nice secure shipping box. Then tape the hell out of it. It keeps everything inside nice and unbroken. My wife shipped one box without doing this and in arrived in pieces...literally.

Absolutely everything arrived with no issues. I would definitely use tracking. As far as insurance goes, the one thing they don't tell you when you purchase it is that you have to have receipts for the merchandise that you shipped otherwise the insurance is useless.

Instead of luggage on the plane, I took boxes that contained electronics, and minimal clothes- as packing around the items in the boxes. I strapped 2 x-boxes to carseats, had a tv and several computers in carry-ons, etc.
Previously, I had bought or even reused old boxes, I had lying around and rented a UHaul- and brought it all to the post office in one load. I shipped it all parcel post and it all arrived, and nothing was damaged. I did not do good packing at all. Pretty much just threw everything into the boxes and tossed clothes in around everything to fulfill their maximum weight limits.
quote:
Originally posted by csgray

We mailed things like our stainless steel pot and pans, tools, and linens in those big blue rubber maid bins with the lids well duct taped on. Everything arrived intact and the bins are good for storage and recycling at this end.

Carol

I have heard in several places about using these plastic bins to ship, and I think they would be a good idea. Unlike a cardboard box, postal employees won't throw them because they KNOW the bin will burst. Then they will have a mess and it will be a headache for THEM.
I plan to take my desktop on the plane in one of them. You can get up to 2 50 lb boxes on the plane for $50 each.(the 18 gallon ones are about the size limit too.) Can't ship that much there with anyone for that price and a LOT less handling. We have 2 kids, so that's 8 boxes of checked luggage, plus 1 carry on and a handbag each. That is almost everything we plan to take.
We even are looking into taking a cruise to get there, as they have no limit on how much you can take,(plus units with balconies we can put it on) but they aren't cheap, and to permanently get off in Hawaii takes special permission from immigration or homeland security, can't remember which.

comin' your way soon!
comin' your way soon!
Before I tell people that the cheapest way to ship less than a container is to call the barge company directly and arrange the less-than-container load (LCL) rate, which usually means shipping a pallet, I tell them to get rid of anything they can't carry-on or mail. And get island appropriate stuff here.
Sputnut, that's basically what I did. Security had fun with us, with all the electronics and cords, but we made it. Then, when you arrive, you can go to Walmart and get the foam mattress toppers (4 inch thick)to use as temporary beds. We are still sleeping on these on the floor -and it's been a couple years now. You can get into your rental, plug in your tv's and computers, and keep the kid occupied while you get organized. (I made the mistake of buying the mattress toppers in Texas and shipping those on the plane as well- but I should have just bought them here, immediately upon arrival) Patio furniture is cheap and we are still using that as most of our "main furniture" even now.
Mahalo for all the great suggestions!