Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Satellite Options - HPP
Aloha! We're living on 29th between Kaloli and Paradise Drive. We have Oceanic for our internet, but are looking for something as a back up as the internet goes down from time to time and both my husband and I work from home and there are times when we cannot be without internet.

Does anyone have recommendations for a good satellite provider, or know if it works in our area? I realize most would just use Oceanic if is available for use, but I'm curious what satellite providers other folks use, and does anyone use it as a back up who relies heavily on internet access?

Mahalo for your thoughts!
Wild blue exede satellite is the best. Its faster then DSL though it is pricey.
You are going to experience rain fade and I imagine the outage would occur at the same time oceanic is down.

The speed will be very slow compared to oceanic also.
12 mb down and 3 mb up according to speedtest.net, about 800 on the ping. Should feel about the same speed as oceanics lower tier, faster upload. If you have power for it independent of the grid, there is no reason why it should go down at the same time as oceanic, the uplink to the satellite is in Kansas. Like I said, pricey, they limit your total bandwidth for the month to 25 gb and you have to sign a 2 year contract. It is far far better then hughsnet or starband, completely different league in terms of speed.
I'd go with Exede Sat. For this reason along.

All plans include unmetered data. During our Late Night Free Zone, from midnight to 5 a.m., usage does not count against your monthly data allowance

But if you keep both I guess that would be a mute point. Maybe a cell phone hot spot might be a better choice?
If you really "cannot be without internet", any kind of wireless will inevitably disappoint.

Leased-line internet from Telcom is expensive, but it comes with a mandatory 2h trouble response and five nines (99.999%) availability; they are required to install anywhere in their service area, and the circuit is permit-exempt (any service from Telcom falls under NEC 70).

Using it to "work from home" makes it a tax deduction -- even if you're a W2 employee (expenses which are both "required by employer" and "not reimbursed").

Of course, if you really are "working from home", you will also need a Special Use Permit from County, because all of HPP is zoned Ag... it's not entirely clear whether having an "office" which is adjunct to a "permitted agricultural use" (say, a nursery) is also considered a Special Use. (Yes, I'm joking here. Sort of.)
Had Starband very slow but great deal with Open Skies Hawaii program with free equipment, no contract, etc.

Switched to Exede several months ago. As previously posted very fast and reliable. New plan offering unlimited data usage excluding streaming. New technology adjusts the system during rain so takes heavy rain to loose signal.

The installer, Tropical Satellite (968-8874), was very knowledgeable even hooked up router free of charge. Answered all my question and even suggested to check out other services before committing to contract.