Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paauilo
Hello again,

I was wondering if anyone has ever lived up Paauilo way. I have stayed there many times and have an offer on a home there with a very strong chance of going through. Oh, and did you see the sinkhole in Paauilo with the recent rains? Crazy!

AKpilot

We're all here, because we're not all there!
Yup, live around Pauuilo, it's a great area. I've heard good things about their school, too, although they changed principles a year or so ago so I don't know the current status.

Great soil, good community, very low theft and vandalism in the area. Is this in Pauuilo camp or up mauka? There's a lot of ranching and such in the area.

Yeah, that washed out road was impressive.
Picture of washout

It wasn't a true sinkhole, the metal culvert under the road got washed out and then the road wasn't supported and fell in. The effect is the same, Vera's truck (and Vera) fell into the hole, but the hole got there by the dirt washing away instead of mysteriously disappearing like an official sinkhole.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
Up Mauka

quote:
Originally posted by Hotzcatz

It wasn't a true sinkhole, the metal culvert under the road got washed out and then the road wasn't supported and fell in. The effect is the same, Vera's truck (and Vera) fell into the hole, but the hole got there by the dirt washing away instead of mysteriously disappearing like an official sinkhole.

Yeah, sinkholes like the ones in Florida are caused by underground rock, especially limestone, being dissolved away by acidic water.

We've got the acidic rain, for sure, but not the limestone, so what we see are washouts.
Hello,

Thanks for the responses, I am a tad confused though. Dakine, is this hostility? Do you live around Paauilo and have experienced hostility? Or do you live there and don't want any newbies?

follow up on Waipio - was there last week - road down to one lane and traffic restricted....rock and mudslides blocking one lane of the access road

keep your airspeed up....grin