Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Eden Roc ?
I lived in NM for a long time and you can still buy land there for less than a thousand dollars an acre. It's less remote there though, and more jobs. Not saying it's better than Hawaii, but if land is the reason, then there are more convenient/cheaper options.
I have a deep long passionate obsession with tropical jungle weather Smile
I love it here - moved here almost a year ago, and have no plans to leave the Roc.

The weather is excellent - not too hot as it can get on the coast, not too cold that I need to heat in the winter.

Love living with water catchment (water is way better than it was on a well in Colorado), and we live well off-grid, and rarely have to run a generator.

I work in electronics, from an office on our place where I run a couple computers and my test equipment (yes all solar). For internet, I was going to set up my own wireless link to beam my signal up from somewhere there was cable access - but I found that I have 14Mbits each way on my AT&T 4G, so I put up a better antenna, and got a mobile hot-spot (I actually tether the thing via USB to my firewall, but that's for security and my VPN - but the hot-spot works fine). I do pay $200/mo for 15GBytes, but since most of that is for business - it works, and is faster than most other options around. If you need help in the area of getting i-net access - let me know.

Neighbors are good, roads are ok (better than the acres), stress is low - life in the Roc is good!

Living the good life - off the grid in Puna
Living the good life - off the grid in Puna
quote:
Originally posted by jrw

Oneself I have lived in Eden Roc for about 4 years. I have internet with wildblue it is a satelite internet it has been really reliable even during bad weather.

jrw

I just checked with wildblue and they are saying their service is not available in 96771. Can you provide a contact for your service provider? Mahalo.
http://www.exede.com/internet-packages-p...?zip=96771 says it's available here.
I'm using it RIGHT NOW! about $50 a month for 10g

><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ >(>
Just FYI

When I called to order Exede based on the website saying it was available, the person on the phone said it wasn't actually available in 96749. However, I see vans with their company logo painted on the side. So who knows (?)

In the end I was happy this happened, because Verizon Home Fusion was cheaper and a LOT faster.