Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Talk about purposely keeping out the poor....
Pretty smart if you ask me, we should try and get as much money back from those bloodsuckers as we can, they won't do anything good with it. Better then Hawaii who has high state taxes and also takes a lot more then they put into the federal gov.... Since a majority of states are getting back more then they put in, you should probably question the whole scam, not just states with no income tax like Washington who apparently get back .2% more then they put in. Nice presentation though, however it is pointless in nature.

Do you think SS and Medicare might follow you old farts as you move to Florida and Hawaii to die while bitching and destroying our economy with your politics? Any other stupid worthless points we should make?
quote:
Originally posted by afwjam

Pretty smart if you ask me, we should try and get as much money back from those bloodsuckers as we can, they won't do anything good with it.
The money goes from federal bloodsuckers to state bloodsuckers. I don't see how that is an improvement.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I was being sarcastic.
When you are part of the military industrial complex it does not take long to realize that we are not paying for all of that. The costs are too huge. Every single nut bolt paycheck load of fuel bullet pension VA hospital base building vehicle ship plane etc etc. You look around at it all with that in mind and then throw in all the rest and then look at how many tax payers. We are not even close to paying for it all. It is staggering.
The inequity continues to grow with each new trade agreement and loss to our own value added industry that use to fund our government with taxes. We are cutting off the branch we are standing on. We have not achieved balanced trade with any country we have a trade agreement with. It is all in black and white and available to read about. After awhile the truth dawns. Military might is our gold standard. That is what makes our money worth what it is.
There are some perks to being old, grey and in the way. Land in Puna is relatively reasonable. Property tax exemptions (owner occupied, over 70) mean we pay $100 a year; find that on the mainland. Hawaii does not tax government pensions from any state. We can grow some of our own food and can get by without heat or air conditioning. However, as we all know basic needs like food are very expensive. Maybe the bill will pass to stop taxing groceries and that would help.
We pay taxes on our groceries?!? Wow! My goodness how "progressive" is that?
quote:
We pay taxes on our groceries?!? Wow! My goodness how "progressive" is that?

Yes: it's an "excise tax" which applies to gross receivables and may be "passed along" to the consumer at point-of-sale.

If you earn less than the median, a portion of the GET is returned to you in the form of a "refundable tax credit", all you have to do is file your tax return and wait for the check.

Clearly "your fault" if you can't afford to loan money (for free) to the State. (Until they process your tax return, which might be delayed into the next fiscal year, so that the budget appears balanced.)
How would puna webers do with a 10% wealth tax .... ie 10% of ones savings confiscated from the account.?

The IMF claims that a 10% levy on households' positive net worth would bring public debt levels back to pre-financial crisis levels. Such a tax sounds crazy, but recall what happened in euro-zone country Cyprus this year: Holders of bank accounts larger than 100,000 euros had to incur losses of up to 100% on their savings above that threshold, in order to "bail-in" the bankrupt Mediterranean state. Japanese households, sitting on one of the world's largest pools of savings, have particular reason to worry about their assets: At 240% of GDP, their country's public debt ratio is more than twice that of Cyprus when it defaulted."

The IMF thinks this a good solution to overspending by its governmental members. .....

The high cost of living and limited employment are probably the main reasons why 7,000 move to Hawaii every year, but 6,000 leave. Most of those are young working age that have to move to the mainland to get jobs. The ones coming in are mostly retired. It's a myth that there is some kind of big growth happening in Puna. From 2010 to 2013, the population of Hawaii county went from 185,000 to 189,000. That appears to fit the net 1,000 per year that are staying. There was a region in Puna that had the highest growth rate but that was in a very narrow band encompassing Kea'au and HPP. The growth rate for the rest of Puna was very low. In a way, the high cost of living acts as a growth regulator.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/15/15001.html

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*