Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All the kids get $500
The link does not contain a summary. Here's a summary: Senator Ron Wyden proposes setting up a savings account for all children born in the US and depositing $500 in it that could be used only for the cost of college, to buy a home or to toward retirement. Similar legislation is contemplated for Hawaii.

The link does not adequately summarize the article and, in fact, leaves out very important information: That this is not a giveaway -- it is an investment in the future that will accrue interest until expended for specified purposes and that may enhance educational opportunity, provide shelter or secure a retirement.

Summarizing links is an oft-repeated request to provide a basic courtesy. I have no enforcement powers other than the power to invoke a courtesy by explaining why all Punawebbers may find it useful.

Courtesy is definetely in shorter supply here than it used to be. As for the libertarian arguments that this is "using someone else's money" or the suggestion that because government is involved the idea is doomed to failure, I have to say I am appalled at the increasing common and politically correct view that government is the problem. Government is all that stands between us an anarchy, or as I call it, libertarianism.

Government is perfectly capable of getting things wrong, but it is the method by which we express our common purpose. As to this particular idea, it seems like a noble-minded but weak one especially when you consider the massive investments of other countries in education and other matters that enhance the common good. ]

Unfortunately, America is in the grip of a philosophy that leaves our government, and therefore our nation, competing with one hand tied behind its back. That philosophy holds that any collective action -- action taken toward a common good and a common goal-- is evil because it infringes upon the rights of a particular person (for example, it takes taxes for a reason that a particular person disagrees with). Other governments have no compunctions about aiding their solar industries, fighting dirty on trade, or taking steps to provide for universal health care, a secure retirement, or quality, universal education. Here we can't even support the post office.

If this proposal comes to Hawaii, it should be considered a very small step in the right direction -- a mere gesture that suggests that we should at least be thinking about how we can get back to the ideal we once had that even a ditchdigger's son is entitled to a quality education and that to provide him (and others) with one will enhance not just his life, but the life of the nation and its ability to compete globally.

quote:
That philosophy holds that any collective action ... is evil because it infringes upon the rights of a particular person

Nothing wrong with that idea **IF** all persons are truly equal, and allowed (or better yet, required) one vote per individual, actual democracy by an informed populace.

Instead, we can't put warning labels on dangerous products, because it "infringes" the "free speech rights" of a corporation. Nor can we have a meaningful post office, because it's "required" to further the "free speech" rights of advertisers.

Subsidies? The paper industry is lobbying to prevent government from modernizing. (Each paper check costs about $1.25; an electronic payment is about $0.09.)

Government is not the problem; what we have is more of a "corprotocracy".
We should not subsidize industry or children with money we don't have. Kelena, that "philosophy" you don't like is our countries constitution and the basis of our founding and the most prosperous country in the world that used to have the largest middle class and opportunity for all. It was not built off a forced collective, but the hopes and dreams of hard working individuals. The philosophy of collective authoritarian force that you advocate has played itself out for over ten thousand years in human history and never worked out well. Join the modern age and this new thing we have called liberty, it will lead us to be more prosperous as individuals rather then slaves to our masters. I'm sorry that you don't see violence, worse if it is collective violence as wrong. It is wrong and it never ends well, look at history.

Obama did subsidize solar, it worked out great. /s he also worked on universal healthcare forcing us to pay private insurance companies at outrageous prices. Our retirement plan has obviously failed in our governments hands and you are getting your wish on education with no child left behind and common core, it is destroying the lives of children at the schools I have worked at. We have also continued to destroy our economy and any hope at trade. I believe our national debt is some 17 trillion or more dollars, larger the our GDP, who is going to pay for that? Don't even get me started on the wars of terror we are waging with robots in multiple countries. We need to get back to what made our country the best and the most forward looking, not what has ruined the world over and over again through history. We need to apply common sense to our finances, especially in Hawaii.

Please leave your pre-conceived notions(programming) and intolerance aside and let's engage in an honest dialogue that improves our country and charts a prosperous future course for Hawaii. Please reject violence in all forms, but especially in the form of a collective. We are still responsible for the damage, even if we do it "together" for the "greater good".

Aloha, peace, tolerance, love and prosperity.[Smile]
Being in Hawaii we are much removed from what is happening - seeing this article / post .... makes me pause - there is a lot of chatter about bankers jumping out of windows, (do the banks need another cash infusion?) job numbers down and housing values softer (dont know about the local market)

opening millions of $500.00 accounts that cant be accessed ...a banker (invented) asset play at best

bottom line - happy I have a few year head start on being able to feed myself

sometimes there is great value to being on a rock in the boonies

this being the third jp morgan banker to leap in as many weeks

http://nypost.com/2014/02/18/jpmorgan-ba...r-company/