Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cosmos
Sorry for replying to an old thread, but just to let everyone know the last episode of this current Cosmos series will be shown on Fox Sunday 8th June at 9pm local time (i.e., tomorrow). I've not been able to watch every episode but have seen most of them and I think it's been pretty good. Tomorrow's episode will have a lot about Fritz Zwicky who certainly had a big influence on modern astronomy and some more stuff about Carl Sagan who hosted the original Cosmos series.

I started this thread in the hope there would be a bit more of a mention of the contribution the telescopes atop Mauna Kea have had to our understanding of the universe, our Galaxy and the solar system, but that hasn't happened yet. I get the impression this show will get a second season, so maybe next time. In any case, even for those of you who haven't watched the show so far, I do recommend watching Sunday's episode and then you can make up your mind if you want to see more!
Sorry, this is nothing to do with Puna or Hawaii, and for profoundly religious people, you probably don't want to watch this, but there is an alternative series to Cosmos albeit not with so many episodes. In fact it's only three minutes or so but answers some profound questions.

Thought some people might enjoy:

http://youtu.be/bNZEfafbjSE

If you have electricity, and internet, and a subscription to Netflix Streaming, the first season of Cosmos has just been added to their playlist.

If you're still waiting to get your connections back, take a walk outside. The last two nights have been particularly clear. "Puna Cosmos" has been spectacular! The Milky Way is particularly bright this time of year at 9 or 10 PM, as earth aligns at that time toward the star filled center of our galaxy.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
HOTPE - I was lucky enough to be on the summit of Mauna Kea last night. The sky was simply stunning before the Moon rose (and after getting properly dark adapted). It looks as if it'll be the same tonight. The view from the VIS would be even better considering your eyes would work better, but definitely a time to take in the beauty of the night sky.