Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old fish ponds
The Mauna Lani Resort has a special spirit of stewardship compared to most other HawaiÔi hotels. The development was handled by Kenny Brown, architect, State senator, and great-grandson of a member of Kamehameha IÔs court.

He said:
"Multiply, if you will, within the limits of productivity, but have infinite care where you put your houses, harbors, and hotels, because you must protect your landÔs natural beauty and spirit of place if you are to retain and sustain you own spirit."

Quoted in Kenneth Francis Brown and a book I have called Designing Paradise.
Sorry, Kathy. My eyes were blurry after reading all those Hawaiian names that I missed the following info.
Guess we will be making more trips to fishponds. Great activity with kids. Thanks for the info!
Just received an email on this:
"The final presentation for the Eia Hawai`i Lecture Series will feature “Mahi`a: Revitalization of the Fishpond Practitioner, with Hi`ilei Kawelo.
Thursday, April 10, 2-3:30 at the University of Hawai‘i at Hilo, Wentworth, room 1

& from 5:30–7 p.m. on Friday, April 11 at Sheraton Kona Resort and Spa at Keauhou Bay Bayview 1 room.

Both lectures are free and open to the public.
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH... Hosted by Danny Akaka.

Danny is an incredible source of knowledge and storyteller. Back in the day when we worked at the Mauna Lani, when we did the kids programs he would tell them all sorts of legends and stories and intersperse it with the importance of stewardship of the aina and the ocean.

Magnetic personality. It wasnt till many yrs later than I put 2 +2 and realized it was Sen Akaka's son.
Agree 100%, Cat.
He's got the magic and he cares.
Got to see him at length at the Full Moon Talk Story, expected he would be great, and was not disappointed.

Working at the Mauna Lani sounds like it could have been pretty cool. When was this? Mauna Lani is my favorite of the resorts.