Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
40' Container and Car
Hello again, quick question. I may be splitting a container with someone to Hilo. Anyone know if it is usually OK to ship a car in a container? (This would be the little 2CV)

AKpilot

We're all here, because we're not all there!
Generally the shippers will say NO.

That being said it has been done though a container costs more than a car to ship.... so I expect if someone is embedding a car in a container full of other stuff there are three enhanced risks to take on...

1. The car will be damaged by all the stuff packed around it.
2. The car will be damaged in handling into or out of the container.
3. The car will have gasoline in it which may ignite, destroy the container and sink the ship and kill the crew.

But if none of that bothers you then by all means, do what you will.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Have used freight forwarders to ship cars in containers. from what I saw the drill was to build a wooden ramp in the container - first car went over second went under - battery was removed - so was oil and fuel. Then the cars were strapped to the ramp. We filled the cars with "stuff" tools and the like - got to belgium from long beach ca - no issues or damage
AK- Yes, a car can be shipped in a container w/stuff in the container, NOT the car. My friend just did it from Hilo to LA. I can get the name from her in a few days. We dropped the car off in Hilo, near the Food Basket. Took friends 2 days to load the container and the car went in last. If they had another coat of paint on the car it would not have fit into the trailer.
This is a very small Car, a Citroen 2CV.

Id be concerned with it swaying on the springs and bumping into the sides or sliding around if the container were tipped - some sort of strap affair and either padding or lots of clearance along the sheet metal panels, wax it up really well to protect the paint from the ocean air.
I would think you could possibly pack all the "hard stuff" up front, make a plywood and 2x4 "bulkhead" to lock all that stuff down. Then take advantage of the davit hoops inside the container to strap down "Petit BlĂș" by the frame tight, and follow Bullwinkles car prep. Then pack all your "soft goods" that won't damage her all around. Upon receiving open the door, welcome her to her new home and roll her out, reprep w/ oil and gas put as much soft stuff in her as you can and tell the truck "follow me"!

Are you a human being, or a human doing?
On second thought, pretty bumpy ride (possible anchor clanging ride) and the soft goods would chaf her sensitive skin Wink so strap her down good!

Are you a human being, or a human doing?
i did 2 cars different times in container. both small, one a small electric car, the other a karman ghia. i took a 2x4 crawled in and screwed it to the floor behind the tires, so car wouldnt roll. (container floors are hardwood) i built a framework over the top filled with stuff. the container was so packed! nothing moved. also filled the car full of stuff. issue was my own container i had delivered on the ground so i drove them in. they used a crane to lift container into the truck that delivered it to matson. i will say, it was pretty fun driving the cars in. i had some big sheets of foam along the sides, and hubby guided me in, i had about 1 inch to spare! but wanted everything tight... this was years ago, when you could lock your own container but same idea now and it was so packed no one could see the car anyway.. oh i guess you could also let the air out of the tires...