Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Garbage to energy plant for Big Island
large western US states enjoying rates that are under ten cents per kwh?

Their grid has many more sources, including hydro and nuclear. Our "grid" is oil-fired (or coal-fired) with imported fuel which is shipped here by -- you guessed it -- burning more oil.

Larger populations also tend to have more regulatory transparency.
Guess more clarification is needed.
The proportional size of the distribution system for Hawai'i County
in relation to the population and geographical size is huge in comparison to Oahu.
Also the proportional size of maintenance personnel and equipment resources is greater.
"The Grid (s)" on the Mainland is huge.It has access to the US and Canadian generating resources.
And there is more transparency for a number of reasons.
Two expenses in electricity: generation and distribution.

Generation costs are especially driven by cost of fuel and cost of generation infrastructure; and are much higher on Oahu and Hawaii Island than on ConUS.

Distribution costs are especially driven by the cost of distribution infrastructure. The further apart and more difficult to get to that each customer is, the higher the costs. This would seem to be an issue in large ConUS areas, and I would propose that the lower final cost of electricity in those areas is due to lower generation costs.

In western Washington state we enjoyed very low electric rates though the generation source was largely from Bonneville Dam, nearly a hundred miles away. So I suspect that the distribution cost is much less of a factor than the generation cost. Another good argument for geothermal with its free heat source! And not only does geothermal have free "fuel" like hydroelectric generation, drilling a few bore holes is much cheaper than building a half mile long dam across a major river. Even with the cost of the dam, hydropower was substantially cheaper than any other alternative, so geothermal should very comparable, or less, in its cost of operation.

Going back to the garbage to electricity topic, I noticed in the opala.org link described H-Power as taking all of Oahu's waste and reducing the volume 90% by volume with the remainder ash for the landfill. The article also noted H-Power actively culled the waste stream for recyclables. Just the fact of reducing waste by 90% should make some sort of waste to energy operation attractive to the Big Island. Doesn't the plasma type of incinerator produce little or no pollution?
Regardless of the cost of electricity ,it just makes sense to turn our trash into something that benefits us all.

We can continue to bury it and let future generations sort it out or we can do something positive.

The zero waste initiative is not going to take care of all of the waste we generate !!

The most easily recyclable waste was grocery bags.They have now been banned and replaced with bags that come from trees.

How do you recycle or compost a disposable diaper or a tampon ?? I know that diapers can be replaced with cloth that can be washed.I don't know where the diaper pail is on a non-stop flight from JFK.
quote:
Originally posted by peteadams

Doesn't the plasma type of incinerator produce little or no pollution?

Actually, plasma gasification can be used to destroy pollutants like dioxins produced elsewhere and fed into it. The technology is "almost there" with several demonstration plants scattered throughout the world and everybody sort of pointing the finger waiting to see who is going to front the cash to build the first one that will truly replace landfills.

Since they produce more energy over time than what they take to construct and operate them, the thought is to build them near existing landfills so the old garbage can be mined and converted to energy and other useable components. Here's a good 'starter' article but for the real good stuff like actual operating plants, you need to use the google. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_gasification

It is important to note that plasma gasification is not the same technology as building an incinerator that produces energy. Incinerators basically burn things under high heat, plasma gasification breaks things down on the molecular level using temperatures much higher than the surface of the sun. While it sounds like science fiction, the basic component (a large plasma torch) has been used since WWII.
Re plasma arc:
1. Has it been commercially proven with municipal solid waste?
2. Do any of the 3 shortlisted companies do it?

To date, I understand the answer to both questions to be, "no".
If that is correct, then plasma arc is not relevant to this discussion.

As for energy in Washington State. Like The Tennessee Valley (where I originated), it is principally hydro-electric, which is the cheapest to produce.
Please come to the council meeting on Friday July 18th and SUPPORT resolution 452. Council Meeting starts at 9:00 a.m. OR submit testimony via email before noon on July 17th to: Counciltestimony@co.hawaii.hi.us

http://records.co.hawaii.hi.us/Weblink8/DocView.aspx?dbid=0&id=815249

http://records.co.hawaii.hi.us/WebLink8/...Page1.aspx
RIDES AVAILABLE

Resolution 452-14: Urges the Administration to withdraw Request for Proposal No. 3044 regarding the future of solid waste management for the County and issue a new Request for Proposal to provide for the eligibility of those entities or a combination of entities which seek to maximize the output of compostables and generally maximize the highest value for each component of the waste stream. The details of the current RFP effectively limited proposals to a single-proposer massive waste-to-energy system approach instead of allowing for teams of experts in their field.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THIS AGENDA ITEM: PLEASE TESTIFY
Testify In Person – the Kona Council Chambers – West Hawai‘i Civic Center.
Via Videoconference – At the Waimea Council Office; the North Kohala Video Conferencing Site in the old Bank of Hawai’i Building in Kapa’au; the Hilo Council Chambers at – 25 Aupuni Street; the Pahoa Neighborhood Facility and the Hawaiian Ocean View Estates Community Center.
To submit Written Testimony – Bring fourteen (14) copies to the meeting. Public testimony (1 copy) may also be submitted before 12:00 noon on the business day prior to the meeting by fax: to (808) 961-8912 or email: Counciltestimony@co.hawaii.hi.us or by mail: County Clerk’s Office at 25 Aupuni Street, Hilo, Hawai’i 96720.
"Resolution 452-14: Urges the Administration to withdraw Request for Proposal No. 3044 regarding the future of solid waste management for the County and issue a new Request for Proposal to provide for the eligibility of those entities or a combination of entities which seek to maximize the output of compostables and generally maximize the highest value for each component of the waste stream. The details of the current RFP effectively limited proposals to a single-proposer massive waste-to-energy system approach instead of allowing for teams of experts in their field."

Many people here have probably never heard of Sir Humphrey, but he would be so proud of that paragraph. Sorry, not Puna related, but he was a treasure of the place I came from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humphrey_Appleby

http://www.jonathanlynn.com/tv/yes_minis...quotes.htm