Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead Dog/Volcano Hike/Ginger
Went on a hike up in Volcano Park with my wife today.

Heartbreaking, there was a dead dog on the side of the road between Keaau and Fern Acres looked like it was hit by car. It was a yellow Pitbull is what it looked like. If anyones dog has run away let them know. I personally think Pits are sweet as any dog, and just have a bad rep.

Volcano hike was enjoyable, and along the way I grabbed some of the Kahili ginger that grows wild. I know it is invasive and not great for the forest, but in the meantime, does anyone know any recipes ? Can you use it in cooking like regular ginger ?
not the kine for eating, just ornamental, and very invasive in upper Puna where its cooler...
if you want to grow the eating kine, buy the ones at the market and plant them out

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
ed. to add, bananahead's post was not up yet when I started mine.

Oneself, the name ginger is used for numerous species.
Kahili ginger is Hedychium gardnerianum, not edible.
Edible ginger is Zingiber officinale.

There are lots of botanical sites on the web, so if you find something and you know the common name, you can easily bring it up and learn about it.

You really should not be picking stuff in the wild and thinking about cooking it until you know a lot more about the plants here, unless you shown by someone who really knows. There are a lot of poisonous plants growing here, and others that will just make you really sick.

You might want to watch the film "Into the Wild," if you have not seen it. [Wink]

That's a shame about the dog. If you see a dead animal, you should probably call the humane society so they can take care of it.
Into the Wild was a great movie.

Yea, I figured id ask before cooking with it, When I researched it I couldn't find anything saying it was poison, nor anything that it was edible.

Mahalo!
Yes I was also going to volcano yesterday and saw the dog too but a good samaritan had just pulled over and was putting the dog into a bag and loading it her truck. Heartbreaking as an animal lover but nice to see someone who had the stomach enough to do that tough task.
I think that's one of the main reasons I enjoy living on an UNIMPROVED dirt road. No speeders and roadkill.
Tell someone or something that you love them today. Aloha!
It seems like a regular occurrence to see dead cats and dogs on the side of the road around here unfortunately. Some people just don't understand how important it is to have their pet secured and spayed/neutered so they are less apt to wander.