Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hilo-Hamakua Candidate Forums tonight in Pepe'ekeo
Hello, not sure if island politics outside of Puna District is allowed here, which is why I didn't post earlier. (The forum was announced in Hamakua Times.) I'm sure that some Hilo/Hamakua voters read here, but no idea how many. (Rob, feel free to move to Punatalk if wrong forum if it belongs there.)
---------

Candidate forum for District 1 tonight at the Kulaimano Community Center in Pepe'ekeo, from 6 PM to about 9 PM. Hosted by Rural South Hilo Community Association.

Format:
Dinner (personally cooked by Donna Johnson) and meet and greet at 6:00-6:30
6:30-9:00 candidate introductions and opening remarks, formal Q&A, closing remarks and wrap up.

Races:
County Council District 1: incumbent Valerie Souza Poindexter/Larry Gering
State House District 1: incumbent Mark Nakashima (D)/Eric Weinert (L)
State Senate District 4: incumbent Malama Solomon (D)/Lorraine R. Inouye (D)/Alain Schiller (L).
(a scheduling conflict will unfortunately preclude Malama's attendance)

This will be the only rural Hilo forum for all the candidates. (Not sure about Hamakua.) County Council will be decided in the primaries, because there are only two candidates. Both State races will go to the general election, because there are two parties involved in each.

Na Leo will tape the forum, so it will be broadcast at a later time, but only by attending can you participate. [Smile]

Directions:
Kulaimano Community Center (not on Google maps) is at the end of Alia, a short cul de sac) off of Ka'akepa, mauka of the highway, second right, Hamakua Federal Credit Union on the corner.

If you vote in these races, we certainly hope to see you there.
Aloha Kathy. How'd this go? Any note worthy observations to share with one that is interested but was unable to attend? Thanks
Thanks for asking, dakine. [Smile]
I'll write up a little summary later today when I'm more awake.
Attendance was lighter than last elections, but the rain was a factor and then we only have two in each race, not like last time when there was no incumbent running for Council and we had 5 candidates I think.

But the questions are worth sharing, so I'll do that .
aloha da kine,
Sorry I didn't get this posted. I was working on it during the big storm, and the power tripped and my post got eaten.

The forum went well, a very community minded group attended. Not a large group but those who came were engaged.

Dinner provided by Donna was shoyu chicken, rice, corn, with dessert courtesy of Hilo Hawaiian hotel. (ETA not because Hilo Hawaiian was a sponsor, but because one of our board members was the exec chef there for 20 years and he brings stuff from HH to various events.) People were well fed and free to all who attended.

The one invitee who could not make it was Malama Solomon, which is a shame in that the race between Malama and Lorraine will likely be the close race of the year for this district, based on the near tie last election. That contest will be decided in the primary.

The rule for RSCHA hosted events is "no campaigning." No T-shirts, colors in support, ringers or hecklers in the audience, no campaign literature. There was also no instance of one candidate challenging or denigrating another.

Format:
Donna Johnson (president of RSCHA and moderator) made an inspirational short speech on the journey we are taking together and on finding our Tahiti.

Candidates introduced themselves briefly.

Donna asked a few questions:
I think the first one was about vision for the future of Hamakua, but I can't remember the wording.
GMO, where do you stand. How do you find a balance between supporting your farmers and addressing consumer concerns?
This one also generated some audience comments.

Audience questions:
We asked for questions on file cards by the end of dinner. I offered to go through them and consolidate similar questions, because there was not time for 6 people to each respond to that many questions.

Pepe'ekeo residents submitted 4 Q on Hu Honua plant.
Q on waste management.

Personal Q to Mark Nakashima as to why he has not succeeded in getting Hawai'i grown produce served in the schools. Answer, it was not legal under the various rules and regs on food safety and procurement for the schools, and he has been chipping away at the obstacles for a few years at least.

Q on an Act that was controversial that I had never heard of, sorry! Something about partnering, maybe you would know, either repealed or up for repeal.

Two questions came in at the end that were very strong questions and I only wish they had been submitted before the point where everyone was running out of brain fuel.

One on Pohakuloa and DU and desecration of the 'aina by the military, which led to a discussion of military presence on the island.

Lastly a 4 part question on the Hawaiian Kingdom, asking each whether they believed the annexation and overthrow was illegal and what they support. I'm sorry I don't have the questions any more, or I would give details.

I was very glad to see that question asked, and only wish it had come up when everyone was fresh.

I don't want to paraphrase any of the responses. I would likely do injustice to all of them. It was recorded for Na Leo. But I will say there were differing opinions on biofuel, GMO -- Eric Weinert is a prominent GMO papaya farmer.

I also noticed that current and past State legislators were more focused on what it takes to get anything done within the system (Lorraine Inouye as former Mayor and Senator, Mark Nakashima as current and ongoing House Rep). The not yet elected tend to speak of accomplishing things easily because they have the will to do it.

Then we had closing statements, which we kept short with vigorous timekeeping.

For my own part, I was not expecting to act as moderator in any way, so I was shocked when Donna handed it over to me at the audience question part. I had offered to read the questions on the cards because they were almost illegible and Donna couldn't read them but I could. I did not expect her to hand over the mike.

I'm not at all fond of being front and center in a room, and when I was teaching, I didn't enjoy it. Luckily everyone was well behaved, except for one audience member who wanted to get in a one on one back in forth with Val on that act, which I stopped after he'd had a few turns, and only allowed because she was into replying. I had to say time to get back to the format. It was hard to make the call whether the audience appreciated a bit of energy and breaking up the format or not, but I could see the other candidates wanted to speak to the question.

After the closing statements, Donna took back the moderation (yay) and provided some closure. Then we cleaned up the room. It's always cool to see how people pitch in with that part.

It's a great community and I always feel heart warmed seeing people come together, so many people who have known each other a very long time and care deeply about each other and the future of the community. Economically, the area is still extremely challenged. I don't know whether Puna residents realize that Hamakua has so many challenges. I mean, twenty years ago this year, the primary employers for the whole coast closed their doors forever and left people to fend for themselves who were totally unprepared.

People there are so close in part because all they had was each other when they suddenly had nothing. They pulled themselves up by their bootstraps.
Hey thanks for all that Kathy. I would have been way interested to hear what transpired had Malama come too. Though I suspect it was too far out of her comfort zone.. and way into Lorraine's turf.. to get her to make the effort. I am sorry that I missed it none-the-less. In my personal endeavors I recently have had reason to interact with many of the Hamakua reps on both the county and state level and where I found most to have their own personal agenda, I have found Mark Nakashima to be one straight clear eyed and honest guy.. and seriously willing to set his own opinion aside in order to truly represent his constituency. And yes, in reality how well our local reps play with others in that great sandbox we send them to.. either in Honolulu of Hilo.. is really the point. Without the experience it is always fun to see how the new-comers think they can promise results without taking into consideration the process involved. Thanks again for taking the time to share all that. It is greatly appreciated.
da kine, I suspect you are right about the comfort zone. Lorraine was extremely comfortable in the territory. Lorraine shows up at various community meetings whether or not she is running.

btw, instead of signwaving, Lorraine is choosing to give away free school supplies for children. She did this last time too, and I got a package of supplies for my grandson. As the new school term is starting up, great timing. I've forgotten now the date for her giveaway, but is someone is interested, just contact her staff.

Malama did appear not too long ago, in conjunction with Mark Nakashima, and they did an evening post-legislative update at Papa'ikou. So I have gotten to hear about what she's been working on, quite interesting. She's a very strong woman, very intelligent, tough.

Whether we end up with Malama or Lorraine, I think we'll be fine. They have very different personalities though. Lorraine is the kind who will hug you and socialize and is "nice," and Malama is sterner. But when Malama says something approving of you, it has that good feel of when a demanding teacher says you made a good point, if you know what I mean. [Smile]

Mark Nakashima is just as you say, a nice, humble guy working for the best. I think he was a teacher? Unfortunately he doesn't project his voice when he speaks, very soft spoken, so he has trouble commanding a room. However, I've talked to him many times one on one or in small groups, and he's got a fine sense of humor, is very approachable, and really thinks. Maybe he's a bit of a fish out of water in the Capitol with his unassuming personality, but he has my vote.

If you want to see Mark light up and become talkative, ask him about hydrogen powered vehicles. [Big Grin]