Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't Forget to Vote the OHA Ballot
Not sure what OHA has done so wrong. Compared to Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), OHA seems like a shining pinnacle of purity and efficiency. You want to talk about pure corruption, look at the BIA. And the corruption hasn't been the Mob, it's been crooked Republican congressmen. Now, look at who is against Hawaiian unification -- the Republicans. A divided native Hawaii is to their benefit.

OHA may have the charter to do what is of most benefit to all of Hawaii and all its citizens but their top priority line item is for the Hawaiian people. And the government recognizes 50% as defining kanaka maoli. It becomes a non-issue if the Hawaiian people can't agree themselves which direction to go, the longer the indecision, the fewer kanaka maoli left.

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
opihikao,
I want to thank you for all you wrote up there. I followed the link you posted for a search and started reading the letter to Kerry. I am embarrassed to say (but I'll admit it) that I don't even know about the settlement and the Kaka'ako deal.

It's almost like these OHA related issues don't come across my radar, like it's a separate sphere. One where I feel like those with blood quantum are handling their own business and it's none of my mine. I mean, who am I to have a say or concern in it, as an outsider.

I was thinking about this, and I realized that growing up in California, my parents and I as voters were never involved in Native American-related decisions. They handled their own affairs internally, and we heard very little about them, almost nothing. And I must have transferred that sense of sovereign affairs when I arrived here.

Not exactly an excuse, more an explanation.
I believe I've read some writing by Haunani Trask. I've done some reading of history and positions, just have no familiarity on specific deals, agreements, land transfers of the past decades.

I started reading that letter and got halfway through it. [:0] I think the heat combined with the formal language did me in. I'll keep trying.

Meanwhile, thanks for what you do to make these issues accessible to someone who is playing catch-up.
bumping this forward, as the OHA vote is something many do not really consider, but in terms of local land use and capital expenses, is one to consider, as OHA lands and capital expenditures are in Puna and East Hawaii.

This link Opihikoa provided is one of the most comprehensive I have found of all of the OHA candidates, in their own words.
http://www.oha.org/primaryelection2014/
I don't care what the Rice decision says. I am not Hawaiian and I will not vote for any OHA candidates. The Hawaiian people are standing up and they don't seem to need my Caucasian guidance. But maybe they need yours.
carey, mahalo for the bump of this. Your comments are exactly why we all need to vote, however, Mr. Easterling, I fully understand and appreciate your opinion.

Of interest, the Japanese I have spoken to over the decades are very, very firm on "not getting involved in something that is not their business". They are of the mind it would be "disrespectful" for them to vote in Hawaiian matters.

Well, truth be told, Hawaiians, for the most part, don't always vote. The historic numbers of OHA races will show this to be the case. Even after the Rice vs. Cayetano. Some of the argument is that if we vote, we are agreeing with the US system. If we don't vote, we're showing "them" that we are a separate nation/kingdom from the USA, and will not participate.

For example, I have seen (recently at a forum at the UH) a kanaka maoli literally run out of the room when the pledge of allegiance was recited. Extreme, to say the least. Standing or sitting quietly would have sufficed.

Then, we have those (a few here who have stated the same) who will vote against someone just so they don't get in. They are not Hawaiians, nor claim to be. The pendulum does indeed swing both ways.

Of note, there are changes coming in this State, and if Abercromie loses (for argument sake), OHA has a new Board of Trustees, the individual Counties vote out the incumbents, we all are affected.

The end result, in my opinion, will affect all of us. OHA has more money than the State. Combined with the uproar of nation building/reinstatement, OHA will have lots to say about what goes on with the holdings they do have, until such time OHA is no longer representing "the people of Hawai'i", should that occur. That is another goal of some of the lahui, as mentioned before. Disband OHA and DHHL, they are not working for the people.

Mahalo for your time in reading yet another dissertation. Sorry!

No, I'm not! lol...Have a great evening all. [Smile]

JMO.