Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AH what to do?!
Hubby just got a call back from a job in Kona! He wouldn't be hired until we were there, but this is encouraging!
So, we have been planning to move over to the BI for 5 years. Our plan was for this fall. We planned to move to Puna since our max to spend on a house is 120K. We didn't want to rent as we run a business from home that is messy -not sure if a landlord would be cool with that. We also have 4 kids so that ups the cost of rent. So exciting. But we cant afford to buy in Kona or anywhere even close. So, do we keep trying for a job in Puna? Do we try to figure out how to make ends meet in Kona -maybe build at some point? I looked into building awhile back and it seemed like it was not a real big money saver.
We originally wanted to live in Kona, but gravitated towards Puna b/c of prices, and the less touristy feel. We also really liked the tropical-ness.
What would you do if it were you?
To make this dream come true?
As tempted as I am to keep on rhyming there I think I will let that be Smile

Its a colorful life!
Its a colorful life!
As you know, we are stuck between both, as DH job is in Kona & our house is in Puna. He rents a place to stay during the week (house is debt free).... but this is not the solution for most...

If the job is everything he would want, you may try finding a rental in Kona (there are areas that are not as "fancy' and you might also be able to set up a "work shack" on the rental property to do the dying...I know that DH's landlord allowed him to put up one of those plastic 12'x10' storage buildings on the rental property for his motorcycle (before he crashed it), his bicycle, some of his tools and our "west side" kayaks....

Depending on where on the Kona side the job is, there are places that do have lower property costs... even so, I would always encourage you to rent for a little bit before buying, just to make sure the location is a fit (hubby rented in a couple of west side locations before finding a fit... if we didn't have this house, with its' convenience to all of the cultural offering on the East side, the area he is at has everything we were looking for...excluding the convenience to much of any cultural offerings...)

ADD: one of DH coworkers now lives in upper Kaumana & drives over Saddle daily... so that is another way... upper Kaumana has some more decent prices...and he feels the daily drive on Saddle is not that bad...esp if the job is from the Airport north...
Ah Carey, As always you are such a help!
The work shack is a great idea. Hopefully whomever we find would allow us to do that!
We have friends in Ocean View but have been discouraged from living there and from my husband leaving all of us alone all day there to go to work in Kona.

Its a colorful life!
Its a colorful life!
You can always rent in Kona for awhile.