Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aid for farmers with crop loss
Information comes from office of Rep. Mark Nakashima:
quote:
Farmers who have suffered damage to their farms and have incurred crop losses are encouraged to see loan officers from the Hawaii Department of Agriculture and representatives from the USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA) who will be side-by-side at the Disaster Assistance and Recovery Centers (DARC) on Hawaii Island.

The DARCs will be open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on the following dates and locations:
á Thursday, Aug 14 and Friday, Aug. 15 at Pahoa Community Center, 15-2910 Puna Rd.
á Saturday, Aug. 16 and Sunday, Aug. 17 at Mountain View Gym, 18-1345 A Volcano Rd.

The Hawaii Board of Agriculture has the authority to approve the parameters for the emergency loan program. Farmers needing loans of $25,000 or less may
apply for micro-loans for swifter processing and faster approvals

Farmers are strongly encouraged to report damages to their farms and crop losses, even if they do not plan to apply for loans or other assistance. Accurate damage assessments in the region are crucial in qualifying for federal disaster assistance.

If possible, farmers should bring photos of damage with them to the DARCs. Those who are unable to make it to the DARCs may call the Hilo office at: 933-9975.

For more information on state agricultural loans, go to the HDOA website at: http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/agl/
I read in Richard Ha's newsletter that the papaya orchards were hit hard, and I am so sad for the farmers. The farmers who were vandalized had just gotten their first subsequent crop poised for harvest, and it was ruined. [Sad]
Those had better be zero interest loans but I have a feeling that they are not.
quote:
Originally posted by lavalava

Those had better be zero interest loans but I have a feeling that they are not.

You're right, they're not.

From http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/agl/
"The State of Hawaii, Department of Agriculture’s Agricultural Loan Division administers the Agricultural Loan Program and the Aquaculture Loan Program. The intent of the programs is to help promote agricultural and aquacultural development of the State by providing credit at reasonable rates and terms to qualifying individuals or entities. Through the establishment of a revolving loan fund, credit is made available by supplementing private lender sector loan funds or by providing direct funding. Considered a “lender of last resort”, the program is not intended to compete with private sector lenders...."