Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Albizia Tree Containment
MarkP, it makes sense that defoliated trees wouldn't fall, since there is less wind resistance. When the tree has all the leaves, the wind catches big swaths of foliage like a kite or an umbrella, and rips it off the tree (or rips the whole tree from the roots). But when the tree is barren, the wind just goes right around the trunk. Eventually the dead Albizias will disintegrate, slowly, and put nutrients back into the soil as the disintegrated pieces decompose on the ground.
Leilani Estates, 2011 to Present
I'm definitely not complaining. It would be great if they could be left to slowly disintegrate. I wonder how often they (dead trees) fall over or drop big branches. Say that there were big trees right next to the power lines. At this point there are probably a fair number of vigilante arborists who would do those trees with Milestone. How likely are they to fall on the lines, kill a motorist, etc?
quote:
Originally posted by MarkP

I'm definitely not complaining. It would be great if they could be left to slowly disintegrate. I wonder how often they (dead trees) fall over or drop big branches. Say that there were big trees right next to the power lines. At this point there are probably a fair number of vigilante arborists who would do those trees with Milestone. How likely are they to fall on the lines, kill a motorist, etc?

I'm guessing that once they defoliate they are less likely to do any of those things than a living tree, and branches from healthy albizia fall all the time. There is a good sized one killed at least 4 years ago that I see from my house. It's still standing and the smaller branches have fallen away over time. Still, you make a good point, and hopefully the powers that be will be motivated to take this issue on to prevent such a thing.