Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elastomeric Roofing
Has any one done this, know if it is any good ?

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/sks/4613170620.html

If you have catchment, I would want to verify that it is FDA approved for use in water systems.
Try going to Conklin.com/roofing/
I can't really recommend them but they have been in the game for decades and there is some interesting info at the website.
I don't see saving thousands doing it this way but at all depends. Remember these are all paints and the weather here is tough on paint. A successful application would require 2-1/2 or three gallons per 100 sq. ft. of roof at a minimum. And like any painting project the good quality paints are expensive. Then there is the whole prep before painting and loose fasteners and seams... And yes, the baked on enamel on metal roofs is much more catchment friendly than others.

Jay
Jay
Used to do FS testing for these systems... Some of the coatings ARE certified for catchment, but they are higher end...so you will be paying more.

As with ANY roof coating, the substrate roofing you are adhering it to is very important. Although these systems can extend life, they cannot do anything if there is any failure in the roof that is not properly repaired.

They are a good choice if you are looking to increase the reflectivity of your current roof, and they do reduce metal roof noise, but also make sure that the applicator properly compensates for metal roof expansion, or the sheet seams will cause visible seam lines & may decrease the expected life of the coating.
One thing I've noticed about them is that mold and mildew love them. You think keeping it off sheet metal is hard. One positive thing is they are safer to walk on in terms of traction. The do seem effective in stopping leaks.
I've had the product applied, by licensed professionals no less, on large scale metal roofs and will not use the product again here in East Hawaii. It's cheaper in the long run, and I'm only talking 5-10 years which is not that long, to replace the metal roof. This is especially true with any pitch less than 4/12 for some of the reasons mentioned above.
All interesting information, thanks. I was thinking this product would be not much more than paint, but it seems to not be the case eh ?
I've seen instances where a metal roof is literally disintegrating from rust at its edges, yet the coating itself is kind of holding things together, so yes, it's more than paint, but way less than new metal.
Sherwin Williams in Hilo has the elastomeric coating that is certified for catchment. Ask to speak with Dan!