Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Image of Iselle Storm Surge( Wave Splash )
Per Royall,
Was up close and personal!

Distortion is truly in the "eye" of the beholder.

Waves/Surge were that BIG - drive by Kopoho/ Vacationland and then comment.

We are TOO close for comfort but I built for it. But no matter how well designed Petra (designer),Ray (structural engineer) and I did - NATURE (or any other name) will have it's way with us - SOMEDAY! So far, so GOOD.

As Royall so accurately commented before, it was the ANGLE of the surge/waves that allowed us to go relatively unscathed. Paradise Ala Kai got hammered, but the cliff face there is 10 feet or more taller. There are football size rocks, wave patterns and "missing" vegetation in our ocean side cinder in front of and beyond our structure to signify some violent activity in the DARK!

Storm WAVES/SURGE are vastly different from Tsunami activity as Tomk so accurately described. But when dealing with the OCEAN, every now and then, no matter the weather conditions, something BIG sneaks in - ask any "long time" surfer (Ralph or Randy)!

We did have a wave "impact" the cliff at dusk "flush/head-on" that created a "SPLASH" (as in Carey's photo) that missed us but inundated the house next door (100' from cliff and 20+ feet tall. It probably contributed to the missing shingles along the roofline.

These wave "splashes" are very powerful in their own right. Stand along the cliff and let a "little" one "nail" you and you'll know what I mean.

An ACTUAL wave that tall would have destroyed my neighbours house and sent my wife and I to "PARADISE"!