Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Real estate question
I'm going to list my 1 acre lot down on the dead end side of 5th street off of Maku'u, in HPP in the next few days. Just want to ask one question. Is 10% for vacant land the norm? Is this one of those commission figures that has "wiggle" room?

Royall,
I think we briefly corresponded about this before, but we are looking for a lot to build a much smaller house on. Before you list it please contact me through punaweb, it usually goes through OK.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Will do Carol...

I understand all realtor commissions are negotiable.

We had a letter from a realtor a few years ago asking to list our vacant lot in HPP for 8%. I think houses are normally 6% commission and when I questioned one realtor she said she would list a house for 5%. You have been quoted 10% for a lot? I don't get this, it must be so easy to sell a lot as a realtor - you just drive your buyer to it, he/she looks at it and decides if they want it or not. There is nothing much else to see but what you can see. Selling a house must be more complicated. Why do realtors ask for so much commission to sell vacant land?

I would just list it for sale by owner or pay the $500 or so fee to put it on the MLS yourself and then give potential buyers directions if they want to go have a look. You could save yourself several thousand dollars, I would think. Or maybe csgray will buy it and you won't have to worry about any commissions Smile

10% but more likely to reduce if you have other business with them.

I think because the commission is so small. Remember the agent still has to split the commission in half with buyer agent and then half again with the broker.

So for a 20K lot, the 10% commission rate translates into $500 for the seller's agent gross before taxes and expenses for advertising. It may take a year to sell it. Vacant land sells slowly.

A $400K house at 6% would net a 6K commission or 12 times that, and the advertising would be less likely to gobble up the whole deal.