Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mosquito Breeds
Mosquito dunks should never be used in drinking water. Read the label. Also, putting some bleach in the catchment will not control mosquitoes. Unless you bring the chlorine level up high like in a swimming pool, the little buggers just won't care. Out of frustration, I once poured a whole bottle of bleach into a half full catchment full of mosquitoes and nothing!
quote:
Originally posted by hotinhawaii

Mosquito dunks should never be used in drinking water. Read the label. Also, putting some bleach in the catchment will not control mosquitoes. Unless you bring the chlorine level up high like in a swimming pool, the little buggers just won't care. Out of frustration, I once poured a whole bottle of bleach into a half full catchment full of mosquitoes and nothing!

I've done something similar in that I have a small fountain (approx 15-20 gallons) that had mosquitos. I poured in 1/2 bottle of bleach and the little buggers kept on swimming. Coupla days later and nothing, so I added 1 cup of olive oil and that did the trick. Formed a film across the top that they couldn't breath through. Not sure I'd do that in a catchment tank though...