Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
President Obama Signs Major Disaster Declaration
BREAKING NEWS: (Hawaii News Now Reports)

BREAKING #Iselle news: President Barack Obama just issued a major disaster declaration for the state of Hawai‘i in the aftermath of Tropical Storm Iselle. His order triggers the release of federal aid to assist with state and local recovery efforts. The federal funding will cover the costs of emergency work and the replacement or repairs of facilities that were damaged during the storm. The aid will help both local government and select non-profit organizations. More details tonight on @HawaiiNewsNow! #prayforPuna

ETA Link:

https://www.facebook.com/milekalincoln.hnn?fref=photo

Good for him! Mahalo, President Obama!
They announced he did the same thing for the earthquake in Napa. Hopefully it will help you all in some way before and not only after...
Hey! I just went from "newbie" to "Malihini"! Now I just need to Google it to see what it means!

Edit: ok, so it means foreigner, stranger or newcomer. Maybe not so much better than Newbie...
beats "Haoli"

><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ >(>
Does this mean we lost any citizen rights in the signing of this FEMA aid?. Could they round up folks and take them away if deemed dangerous enough?. Sorry for the concern for I'm sure this was a good thing right?.
Here's a better article on the declaration, and gives more information on the parameters: (*Snipped - More at link)

http://www.civilbeat.com/2014/09/obama-d...357b3cb65d

According to a press release from the White House, “federal funding is available to state and eligible local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations on a cost-sharing basis for emergency work and the repair or replacement of facilities damaged by Tropical Storm Iselle in the counties of Hawaii and Maui.”

Federal funding is also available on a cost-sharing basis for hazard mitigation measures statewide.

W. Craig Fugate, administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency with the Department of Homeland Security, named Kenneth K. Suiso as federal coordinating officer for federal recovery operations in the affected area.

FEMA said “additional designations may be made at a later date” if requested by the state “and warranted by the results of further damage assessments.”

Obama’s action concerns what is known as a Public Assistance Disaster Declaration, according to the administration.

FEMA rejected Gov. Neil Abercrombie’s request for a Disaster Declaration for Individual Assistance late last month, saying damage by Iselle was not significant enough to qualify for a disaster declaration. At the urging of Big Island Mayor Billy Kenoi, Abercrombie appealed the decision.
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

Does this mean we lost any citizen rights in the signing of this FEMA aid?. Could they round up folks and take them away if deemed dangerous enough?. Sorry for the concern for I'm sure this was a good thing right?.

Really? Seriously? Wow.
This is for financial reimbursements from Iselle through FEMA.

Community begins with Aloha
Wheres the aid for the lava ?!?!?!
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

Does this mean we lost any citizen rights in the signing of this FEMA aid?. Could they round up folks and take them away if deemed dangerous enough?.

Yes, Van Jones is on his way to set up a FEMA concentration camp in Opihikao right now.