Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lava Flow Simulator
I came across this simulator of a lava flow. This may help to understand somewhat on how lava flows can and cannot go.

The type of magna in the June 27th flow is Balsalt and you have a choice to select "High" or "Low" rate. Then click Start eruption.

It may answer a few questions on flows and how they work - althought this is just a simulation and actual flows have many different variables. It did help me to understand a bit more.

http://www.gso.uri.edu/lava/Lavasimulate...ulate.html
Hate to say this but I can't figure out what I learned from that site. Lava flows downhill, how far it goes depends on how long the eruption lasts and the less viscosity the lava has the farther it'll flow. Is there something I'm missing?
No - its just a simulator for people who may not know what break outs are and what could happen once it reaches flatter land area of course there are many variables on lava flows. A free simulator would not go into all that detail.

set pahoehoe speed for '1-2 inches per minute'
set front to stop, and flank breakout movement to 'sit stall spit and spin' for next 4-37+ years
set the lemming dial to 'pseudopunatic/HPP mass hysteria over reaction'

and watch them all pack n run from nothing...
do it over and over until Puna's Pele weeds out the kooks that shouldnt be here...
aloha

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
quote:
Originally posted by bananahead

set pahoehoe speed for '1-2 inches per minute'
set front to stop, and flank breakout movement to 'sit stall spit and spin' for next 4-37+ years
set the lemming dial to 'pseudopunatic/HPP mass hysteria over reaction'

and watch them all pack n run from nothing...
do it over and over until Puna's Pele weeds out the kooks that shouldnt be here...
aloha

Like. A lot. JMO. [Smile]
bananahead, if the lave sits, stalls, spits and spins for the next 4 to 37+ years, I will never doubt you again! Smile
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius