Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAT exams
When , where and how do highschool students take the SAT exam. How quickly do they get the results
There is a less emphasis on testing here, but it's available if you look for it. My son just took the PSAT in Hilo at Hilo HS. I have taken various standardized tests at UH Hilo in a special classroom they have set up there. I assume results will be released as they are in other places.
I believe the next one is in Dec at Waikea High. Maybe call their front office. It takes a couple of weeks for results.....
Here is the link to test sites. http://sat.collegeboard.org/register/tes...ode-search
Thanks for the link.
quote:
Originally posted by PauHana

When , where and how do highschool students take the SAT exam. How quickly do they get the results

This may not be applicable for your situation but there is more than one type of SAT test. The standard Reasoning test that most kids take is not usually sufficient for some ivy league schools, so if that is an issue try to also find out where the Subject tests are. Harvard for example requires the standard Reasoning test plus two Subject tests.
When I went to high school, long ago, all universities of any quality required three subject tests. They were all offered in the same place by the same people.

When it came to admissions though, no college ever cared about my score on my subject test in Chemistry. Or American History.

If anyone is looking for an SAT tutor, I have a friend who just finished up tutoring a student, who got a near perfect score. My friend Laura is doing distance SAT tutoring to supplement her income as a jazz flautist and singer in the Bay Area.

She has an MA in English and taught literature in the English Dept. of Vista College in Berkeley for some years, then left academia to pursue her various dreams. Wonderful person.

Kathy
Is it a friend of friend , a friend of a non-friend or non-friend of a non-friend's friend ??
She is someone that any parent would be very lucky to get as a tutor, and that's why I mentioned her. She is not needy for work; it is more like she has an opening at the moment because the tests were just given and the one student aced the SAT's and is now off to apply to the college of choice.

Kathy
btw, I'm not pushing tutoring. I never had a tutor and I never took one of those expensive prep courses where you attend sessions. I prepared the cheap way with the practice workbooks, and did the same later for the GRE.

It is crucial to prepare. I know the practice made a big difference to my scores.

I'm a cheerleader for high schoolers getting the very best SAT scores they can. It was due to twenty year old SAT scores that I finally was able to attend a university in my mid-thirties, after decades of raising kids and cobbling together quite the mongrel transcript for my lower division credits. They let me in primarily because of my SAT scores from high school (they told me so).

I was at the point in life where I was coming up against all the ways I had not done "the right things" to succeed, and all of a sudden, these old SAT scores were like the ruby slippers I had all along that would take me where I wanted to go.

Thanks always to my parents who insisted that I should work hard for both the PSATs and the SATs. [Smile] Best of luck to all of you who are guiding your students through. [Smile]

Kathy